January 2013 Statistics + Short Summary

stephenprudence

January 2013 Statistics + Short Summary

Post by stephenprudence »

January 2014 Statistics

January was a month I would describe as a veil - implying something completely different to the outcome. The first thing I should remark upon was this being the first frost free month since January 2006. An interesting statistic, but hiding the reality of what was actually a rather cold month, when you consider the lack of air frosts. The other thing of note was that January started with more storms, and this meant by months end January had some substantial rainfall totals.

Below are the statistics for my weather station during the month of January

Mean Maximum: 9.0C
Mean Minimum: 3.7C
Overall Mean: 6.35C

Monthly Rainfall total: 112.0mm
Rainfall days: 26 days
Max rainfall in one day: 11.3mm (1st January)
Total Snowfall: 0cm
Snowfall Days (Sn*w falling): 0cm
Max snowfall in one day: 0cm

Highest daily maximum temperature: 12.5C (15th January)
Lowest daily maximum temperature: 4.5C (30th January)
Highest daily minimum temperature: 8.1C (7th January)
Lowest daily minimum temperature: 0.2C (12th January)

Days with Ground Frost: 5
Days with Air Frost: 0
Days of falling Sn*w: 0
Days of lying Sn*w: 0
Thunder days: 0

Temperature frequency breakdown

Maximum temperature:
0.0C to 4.9C: 1 day
5.0C to 9.9C: 19 days
10.0C to 14.9C: 11 days

Minimum temperature:
0.0C to 4.9C: 20 days
5.0C to 9.9C: 11 days

Compared to the Colwyn Bay January average (81-10 average = 5.65C), my average comes in at 0.7C above the Colwyn Bay average, making it a slightly above average month
Exotic Life

Re: January 2013 Statistics + Short Summary

Post by Exotic Life »

January 2014. Perfect with no frost, not wintery at all on a few days behind, but very grey at times. However some big differences has been noticed in Holland this month. The southwest was feeling tropical compared the frozen (5-6 icedays) northeast with snow, ice, frost.

Facts from my garden.

Mean Maximum: 9.1C
Mean Minimum: 4.5C
Overall Mean: 6.82C

Monthly Rainfall total: 72mm
Rainfall days: 17 days
Max rainfall in one day: 12mm (3 and 12 January)
Total Snowfall: 0cm
Snowfall Days (Sn*w falling): 0cm
Max snowfall in one day: 0cm

Highest daily maximum temperature: 15.2C (6th January)
Lowest daily maximum temperature: 5.4C (29th January)
Highest daily minimum temperature: 9.7C (6th January)
Lowest daily minimum temperature: 0.2C (30th January)

Days with Ground Frost: 0
Days of falling Sn*w: 0
Days of lying Sn*w: 0
Days with hail: 1
Thunder days: 1

Sunhours: 73

Maximum temperature:
5.0C to 9.9C: 20 days
10.0C to 14.9C: 11 days

Minimum temperature:
0.0C to 4.9C: 21 days
5.0C to 9.9C: 10 days
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

It would be interesting to know how we fared officially compared to other years, it was surely one of the warmest januarys on record.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Wettest january "since records began" ORLY!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nings.html

Alaska warmth :shock:

http://www.adn.com/2014/01/28/3296179/r ... lants.html
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

stephenprudence wrote:January 2014 Statistics

January was a month I would describe as a veil - implying something completely different to the outcome. The first thing I should remark upon was this being the first frost free month since January 2006. An interesting statistic, but hiding the reality of what was actually a rather cold month, when you consider the lack of air frosts. The other thing of note was that January started with more storms, and this meant by months end January had some substantial rainfall totals.

How can you say it was cold for January when the average temp was ABOVE average and you've not had an air frost? I feel like it's been a very mild January. I don't expect temps in the early teens to say it's a mild January. I just expect hardly any bad frosts and little snow. The fact that I've had zero snow and only a handful of frosts with a brief low of -2.5 says its a very mild winter month. I still have Aeoniums plants out and looking alright! icon_sunny

The British talk about the weather all the time and everyone I've talked to in the street have commented on the weather being mild and many complaining about the lack of snow!!!!
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Nigel wrote:It would be interesting to know how we fared officially compared to other years, it was surely one of the warmest januarys on record.
If I look to my own records (Since 2006), I had 2 other years where January was milder wich are 2007 and 2008. January 2014 broke 6 daily records, 3 for Max temperatures and 3 for Min temperatures. One of the day records was 15.2C wich is now my highest temperature in January since I started recording in 2006.
Ave January.png
Ave January.png (7.86 KiB) Viewed 4006 times
If I look to the place "De Bilt" where the national weather service is located, January 2014 is on place number 9 mildest ever since start recording in 1901.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:

How can you say it was cold for January when the average temp was ABOVE average and you've not had an air frost? I feel like it's been a very mild January. I don't expect temps in the early teens to say it's a mild January. I just expect hardly any bad frosts and little snow. The fact that I've had zero snow and only a handful of frosts with a brief low of -2.5 says its a very mild winter month. I still have Aeoniums plants out and looking alright! icon_sunny

The British talk about the weather all the time and everyone I've talked to in the street have commented on the weather being mild and many complaining about the lack of snow!!!!

I speak to hundreds of clients on the phone every week all across the UK, and the consensus is winter thus far is mild, can't recall one person saying its been cold icon_salut
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

January in Malta has been warmer & drier than average.

The statistics from my weather station in St Paul's Bay:

Mean Maximum: 17.1C
Mean Minimum: 13.3C
Overall Mean: 15.2C

Monthly Rainfall total: 43.2 mm
Rainfall days: 13 days
Max rainfall in one day: 12.2 mm (25th January)

Highest daily maximum temperature: 19.7C (19th January)
Lowest daily maximum temperature: 14.7C (6th January)
Highest daily minimum temperature: 17.4C (19th January)
Lowest daily minimum temperature: 10.6C (8th January)

Days with Ground Frost: 0
Days of falling Snow: 0
Days of lying Snow: 0
Thunder days: 4

Maximum temperature:
10.0C to 14.9C: 1 day
15.0C to 19.9C: 30 days

Minimum temperature:
10.0C to 14.9C: 28 days
15.0C to 19.9C: 3 days

Compared to the Balzan January average (average = 13.2C), my average comes in at 2.0C above the Balzan average, making it an above average month.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Exotic Life wrote:
If I look to my own records (Since 2006), I had 2 other years where January was milder wich are 2007 and 2008. January 2014 broke 6 daily records, 3 for Max temperatures and 3 for Min temperatures. One of the day records was 15.2C wich is now my highest temperature in January since I started recording in 2006.
Ave January.png
If I look to the place "De Bilt" where the national weather service is located, January 2014 is on place number 9 mildest ever since start recording in 1901.
Interesting, it just shows how mild some winters were before the shock of 2009/2010, i wouldnt be surprised though if you told me it was third warmest :lol:
madgav

Post by madgav »

Not an especially mild month here, not a cold one either, just average. Slight difference in the maxima and minima, the former being slightly below average and the latter slightly above. There was little daily variation from the seasonal norm, hence the almost total lack of air frosts.

TEMPERATURE STATISTICS FOR JANUARY 2014:

Mean maximum: 7.3°C (0.6°C below normal)
Mean minimum: 2.6°C (0.4°C above normal)
Mean: 4.9°C (0.1°C below normal)

Highest maximum: 10.5°C on the 24th
Lowest maximum: 4.2°C on the 11th
Highest minimum: 6.7°C on the 7th
Lowest minimum: -0.4°C on the 14th

Maximum temperature distribution:
0.0°C to 4.9°C: 2 days
5.0°C to 9.9°C: 28 days
10.0°C to 14.9°C: 1 days

Minimum temperature distribution:
-4.9°C to -0.1°C: 1 days
0.0°C to 4.9°C: 28 days
5.0°C to 9.9°C: 2 days

Days when air frost occurred: 1 day (marginal)
Ice days: 0 days
stephenprudence

Yorkshire Kris wrote:

Just because there was no air frost does not mean it was a mild month. If you got 3C maximas and 1C minimas all month but no frost, would you consider it mild? Probably not. It was milder than that, however I have seen much milder January's with more frost than this one.

I haven't heard anyone say it's been mild here, in fact alot of people have commented on how cold it has felt in passing conversation. It's been above average but within the realms of normal.. it has felt colder than the figures suggest.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Below are the statistics for my weather station during the month of January

Mean Maximum: 9.6c
Mean Minimum: 4.4c
Overall Mean: 7.0c

Highest daily maximum temperature: 14.0c (15th January)
Lowest daily maximum temperature: 5.8C (30th January)
Highest daily minimum temperature: 7.2C (6th & 15th January)
Lowest daily minimum temperature: 0.7C (5th January)
stephenprudence

cheshirepalms wrote:Below are the statistics for my weather station during the month of January

Mean Maximum: 9.6c
Mean Minimum: 4.4c
Overall Mean: 7.0c

Highest daily maximum temperature: 14.0c (15th January)
Lowest daily maximum temperature: 5.8C (30th January)
Highest daily minimum temperature: 7.2C (6th & 15th January)
Lowest daily minimum temperature: 0.7C (5th January)
You got the highest mean in the area - by a long way. Your garden is well sheltered!

This is what happened around Wirral/Merseyside/Cheshire.

West Kirby was 6.0C

Little Sutton: 6.0C

Bebington: 6.3C

Chester: 5.8C

Neston: 5.6C

Birkenhead: 5.7C
flipper

Post by flipper »

January weather seems to have been strange many places.

Several official weather stations in Northern Norway reported 0 - zero (!) millimeters of rain or snow for the whole of January. Some places still have had no rain since last year!
An unbeatable record..

Where there usually is lots of snow, they had several serious forest fires and whole villages burnt down.
Strong southeasterly and dry winds has been blowing the whole month!

One might think something funny is going on with the climate...
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Data for Central London (Angel/Farringdom WU station):

Low - 2.0C
High - 13.9C
Mean - 8.3C

27 days with double-digit highs :)