Storm coming-who wants this desireable res

Nigel

Storm coming-who wants this desireable res

Post by Nigel »

OK so we all dream of living in a super mild climate by the sea ..... so who wants to be living here this weekend as the new monster storm approaches.
They have done nothing NOTHING to defend.... no sandbags no rocks nothing, so who is betting on these houses being there come sunday morning.
Attachments
_72831052_dawlishrail.jpg
Conifers

Re: Storm coming-who wants this desireable res

Post by Conifers »

Yeah, I'd also been thinking, those houses will be gone by Sunday.

The people living in them have already been evacuated (and probably evacuated themselves, too!)
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Oh thats bad.. I concur those houses are history. Real shame to lose that for the people affected.

The biggest building actually looks like a Hotel/B&B
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Conifers wrote:Yeah, I'd also been thinking, those houses will be gone by Sunday.

The people living in them have already been evacuated (and probably evacuated themselves, too!)
I am sure I saw a headline on one of the news websites today saying that some residents would not be returning to their houses, so you're right their Conifers.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

has that house on the right already shifted a huge amount, or just the perception of the photo?
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I have my eye on a house right next to a beach, about 1 metre if that above high tide. The owner has lots of marginal plants out in the garden, so that really got me interested. Downside is the above...you may have no garden and no house.
multim

Post by multim »

So just how can you or 'they' defend against the force of nature?? Listening to BBC Radio Cornwall right now, and the forecast is for 50ft waves today. There is no way sandbags nor rocks would make a darn of difference.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

multim wrote:So just how can you or 'they' defend against the force of nature?? Listening to BBC Radio Cornwall right now, and the forecast is for 50ft waves today. There is no way sandbags nor rocks would make a darn of difference.
Yes agree.... water is very heavy and a 50ft wave could be 100 tons. The only way is to try to dissipate the energy as nothing will survive that repeated pounding. It's called erosion and even granite get broken down.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote: a 50ft wave could be 100 tons.
No way!

A 50ft wave would be more like 500 tonnes per metre length along the wave :roll:
kata

Post by kata »

Significant wave height, scientifically represented as Hs or Hsig, is an important parameter for the statistical distribution of ocean waves. The most common waves are less in height than Hs. This implies that encountering the significant wave is not too frequent. However, statistically, it is possible to encounter a wave that is much higher than the significant wave.

Generally, the statistical distribution of the individual wave heights is well approximated by a Rayleigh distribution.[4] For example, given that Hs is 10 metres (33 feet), statistically:

1 in 10 will be larger than 10.7 metres (35 ft)
1 in 100 will be larger than 15.1 metres (50 ft)
1 in 1000 will be larger than 18.6 metres (61 ft)
This implies that one might encounter a wave that is roughly double the significant wave height. However, in rapidly changing conditions, the disparity between the significant wave height and the largest individual waves might be even larger.

Generalization to wave systems[edit]

A significant wave height is also defined similarly, from the wave spectrum, for the different systems that make up the sea. We then have a significant wave height for the wind-sea or for a particular swell.

WIKIPEDIA
icon_sunny
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Well it wont be a great way for the home owners to spend a weekend, waiting for their houses to become un-repairable but I am hoping that the work they have been doing to stabilize the ground may yet just save the day, yes there is a storm but the wind has veered and is now more SWly which for us is normally better than dead south because most severe gales are SW most defenses are better from that direction also the high tide heights is dropping

But I am inland and with the gusts we have had battering the house today I am glad to be so
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Well it wont be a great way for the home owners to spend a weekend, waiting for their houses to become un-repairable but I am hoping that the work they have been doing to stabilize the ground may yet just save the day, yes there is a storm but the wind has veered and is now more SWly which for us is normally better than dead south because most severe gales are SW most defenses are better from that direction also the high tide heights is dropping

But I am inland and with the gusts we have had battering the house today I am glad to be so