Measuring the weather/temp

wintomato

Measuring the weather/temp

Post by wintomato »

hi
It seems to me that a lot of people growing plants sensitive to low temperatures are using some sort of thermometer to establish what the temperate is/was and what the plants survive and what temp it goes down to to have a damaging effect. Am interested in what people are using to monitor the weather. Old fashioned mercury thermometers i'm not interested in, but devices that record the conditions, and allow review of these records.
I am currently using the www.plusplugg.com +weather. It works ok, but don't think it's that good, but at least allows me to see how low the temp goes.
Kristen

Re: Measuring the weather/temp

Post by Kristen »

I'm using a Fine Offset weather station - usually sold as "Watson"

Maplin have them on offer at £50 at present (or £60 if you want a Black one for some reason)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/silver-usb-wi ... ster-n96fy

The touch-screen is pretty rubbish (I only use it as a base-station to upload to my PC via USB), and the Stevenson-screen around the outdoor temperature sensor needs improving (otherwise the temperature rockets in the morning when the sun hits it). The software is not much good, but Cumulus is available for free, and that has a nice display for theh PC plus it uploads to Wunderground.
flipper

Post by flipper »

I am using a selfmade remote temperature senor network .

I made it using various Arduino microcontrollers (www.arduino.cc) and electronic components.

It's a bit complicated, but basically it works like this:
I have two senors devices that transmit the current temperature every minute to a central Arduinio Ethernet over a radio link. This arduino acts as a tiny web server where I can access it from everywhere and see the current temperature at my summer house and in the greenhouse. It also loggs the current temperature to a database on my website every hour.
At my summer house I have a sensor inside the greenhouse , one outside and one inside the house .
It also records rain.
I also have the same setup in my flat in the city. Here I record the outside temperature and the temperature on my glassed balcony, where I grow small washigtonia sand pohinix canaris.

The arduinos also have a LCD-display for direct reading and status information.

You can see my temperature logg here:
http://www.tvedten.com/readtemplog.asp

This table can be copied into Excel for making various graphs.

It may be easier ( and cheaper) to buy something in the store, but this way is more fun - if you are a geek! :-)

Morten
multim

Post by multim »

I use a Davis Vantage Vue - all I need on a single mast installation.
wintomato

Post by wintomato »

Great gear. I felt. Bit of a geek with my device and app, but can tell I am an amateur compared to you guys. Excellent home made equipment!