Not far until the end of the month...

stephenprudence

Not far until the end of the month...

Post by stephenprudence »

Some areas have not recorded a frost this entire Winter (from December 1st), and there's a real possibility some areas will not record frost at all during the entirety of meteorological Winter (December 1st to February 28th).. which when you think about it is remarkable for inland areas.

True coastal areas can sometimes go year without recording frost, for example Llandudno front doesn't always get below 0C every year, but a little inland will get <0C without fail.. and that applies to most of us.

As for here, I've had one air frost this year (-0.7C) in the back garden, but no air frost in the front garden so far, so there's a little to aim for there.. quite interesting.
cordyman

Re: Not far until the end of the month...

Post by cordyman »

I think i've had two, but they were so insignificant, a swish of the windscreen wipers at sunrise was all that was needed to drive off. Be hard pressed to call them more a heavy condensation :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by cordyman on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Same here. Only a couple of air frosts, ie. on my neighbours garage roof, and on our car roofs.
Nothing else, so far.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Both my frosts, neither significant were in last week of november oops.
Last edited by Nigel on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
stephenprudence

3C at the moment, and dropping fast. Air frost again likely tomorrow morning (but will it happen?).. however it's getting to the time of year when daytime highs respond positively due to the higher sun despite the naturally lower minimas..
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Well I've seen temperatures south of 0 degrees on several nights here, and have had heavy frost on the car at least 6 or 7 times in need of heavy scraping duties and lock de-icer! :(

I do live on a hill, that is always a good couple of degrees lower than Cheltenham in the bowl below, but must have been freezing or below locally still even then. Mostly in early/mid Jan and a couple pre-Xmas, but nothing last 2/3 weeks.
stephenprudence

(duplicate post)
Last edited by stephenprudence on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stephenprudence

I can certainly sympathise with your position Sam as I live in a frost hollow on top of a hill.. so often get frost when other people don't

Looks like Cheltenham area will get some frost too over the next week or so.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

clear as far as the eye can see tonight, with a superwhite moon and sparkling stars icon_salut
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Wouldn't surprise me! Luckily everything currently planted is pretty hardy, and the greenhouse is packed to the rafters but nice and toasty for the rest of them!

Just hope it doesn't do for all of the other plants that are already putting up new growth in the garden early! :?
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Don't had any frost this winter so far, not for sure but I think I did not even record a ground frost yet. The still green or flowering tender groundcovering plants are some kind of a proof. Need to check my records on that.

It is very interesting that proberly this winter can go further with no frost at all but is not extremely mild compared winter 2006/2007. Again, need to check for sure but that winter had a few frosts, even some snow (few hours) but lots of high day/night figures. So, even with some frost that winter could be milder then this one.

Hard to say at the moment, because it can changes more then a 100 times, but at this stage I would say a frostfree winter here is very likely.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Exotic Life wrote:
Hard to say at the moment, because it can changes more then a 100 times, but at this stage I would say a frostfree winter here is very likely.
Thats even more unlikely than the UK given your contintental location, it just shows how weird the weather has been.
stephenprudence

Very close to the first air frost of the winter this morning.. No air frost yet but it will come in the next week.. For now it's raining however
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Grass white and crispy, -1 degrees on the car all the way into work this morning, and some very solid ice on both car windscreens and doors this morning ......... maybe I've picked a house in the worst spot possible!? :? :lol:
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Nigel wrote:
Exotic Life wrote:
Thats even more unlikely than the UK given your contintental location, it just shows how weird the weather has been.
Keep in mind that I am in one of the mildest parts of Holland during winter. The winters since I started growing exotics till the cold ones I rarely seen below -3C.

However, I still agree frostfree winters are very unlikely here. That is why I mentioned about winter 2006/2007, it was very mild, maybe even milder then this (Need to check when I got home) but still had a few frost nights.

I think most of the towns and cities in the southwest are frostfree this winter, but there have been some light frosts in open spaces.