No end in sight.

Exotic Life

Re: No end in sight.

Post by Exotic Life »

Dave Brown wrote:All I can say is, if you are not one of the tiny % flooded, or living right on the coast, this has been an excellent winter for exotics, and may go some way to restoring the confidence lost in winter 2010/11.
Nice one Dave. Have been working here in the garden today, yes it was windy but at least it was dry and mild :)

Lots of stuff giving signs that they are waking up or are growing already. Things like Tetrapanax stayed green, and some brugmansia's have been outside al winter. Some parts of summer bedding give new flowers buds, Clematis armandii growth between 30-40 cm, passiflora growth. Olea, Lavandula, clerodendron shown little growth ot waking up buds. Even my Acer's and Albizia are waking up.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Exotic Life wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:All I can say is, if you are not one of the tiny % flooded, or living right on the coast, this has been an excellent winter for exotics, and may go some way to restoring the confidence lost in winter 2010/11.
Nice one Dave. Have been working here in the garden today, yes it was windy but at least it was dry and mild :)

Lots of stuff giving signs that they are waking up or are growing already. Things like Tetrapanax stayed green, and some brugmansia's have been outside al winter. Some parts of summer bedding give new flowers buds, Clematis armandii growth between 30-40 cm, passiflora growth. Olea, Lavandula, clerodendron shown little growth ot waking up buds. Even my Acer's and Albizia are waking up.
It couldn't be different here, things are looking tired, very on the edge look about them.. I think alot is close to rotting. But then it's not surprising as you have had a much milder (and presumably drier?) Winter than here.

This would have been the perfect Winter if it wasn't so wet and cold in tandem. If it was drier, I could also report things growing and looking good, but the truth is here, despite the lack of frost, things are just about surviving. I think I prefer a dry Winter with more frost to this.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Stephen,

Rain has been average in december (65mm) and January (74 mm), feb is much wetter then normal so far with 66 mm of rain. Not that dry at all, but drier then some parts from the UK I guess.

Winter is mild, but winter 2006/2007 has been milder.
eddie

Post by eddie »

Exotic Life wrote:Stephen,

Rain has been average in december (65mm) and January (74 mm), feb is much wetter then normal so far with 66 mm of rain. Not that dry at all, but drier then some parts from the UK I guess.

Winter is mild, but winter 2006/2007 has been milder.
Here in jan we had 97mm. But, thats no rain that comes in heavy but more or less drizzle every day for hours. Thus making everything constantly wet and riding the bycicle not very pleasant. One grey wet windy day after antoher, with only brief sunny spells. Looks like one of the longest autumns in history, on the bright side it looks like we skip winter this time.
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas