Good news: Re: Winter.

stephenprudence

Good news: Re: Winter.

Post by stephenprudence »

Two weeks to go today and then we see the end of Meteorological Winter 2013-2014. At the moment it's looking like we will ride this out without any significant cold, perhaps some frosts for some but only light ones. The signals do not support any deep cold as it stands, to the end of the month, in fact the signals are starting to suggest, a warmer Atlantic dominated theme, the sort that brings rain, shower, sunshine and double figure temperatures.

That means, quite amazingly, some people will not have recorded a frost in the entirety of Winter 2013-2014, which when you think about it, is quite mid boggling, especially for inland areas.

Obviously it's not easy to say what March will throw up, and it could well finally bring Winter as normal, but there are no signs that this will be the case, so we could be looking at the one of our mildest Winters, and certainly unprecedented for some areas, in terms of frost.

Enjoy the rest of this relative frost free, mild Winter if you can.
Deedee

Re: Good news: Re: Winter.

Post by Deedee »

icon_cheers YESSSS icon_cheers
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

stephenprudence wrote: Obviously it's not easy to say what March will throw up, and it could well finally bring Winter as normal, but there are no signs that this will be the case, so we could be looking at the one of our mildest Winters, and certainly unprecedented for some areas, in terms of frost.

Enjoy the rest of this relative frost free, mild Winter if you can.
It helps for us at this side of the northsea the water surrounded is relative warm compared the rest few years, there is no cold in the east/southeast and south. So I really hope that if the winds do not come from the north it has his benefits on temperature.
kata

Post by kata »

Out of all the winter I woke to only two light frosts, weeks apart as well,

Hopefully we won't be regretting such a mild winter come the Spring.

icon_sunny
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

To be honest Stephen I grow my garden really hardy because we often get severe cold spells up here and from a purely selfish point of view I am seriously bored of this perpetual wind and rain as it has turned me into a blinking couch potato!

Stroll on normal winters with cold and mild spells again!
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

A normal (rather than severe) frost isn't a bad thing as it means that the sky has been clear (and dry).
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Not one penny spent on paraffin so far this winter icon_cheers icon_cheers :D :D :lol: :lol:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Obviously I'm not in the UK, but I have been keeping check on a weather station in Portsmouth on Wunderground & the lowest they have recorded all winter is 1C. This is comparable with winter 2007/2008, though the weather station in question used to record slightly lower temperatures than me, so it would indeed make it the mildest winter my garden has seen, thankfully as I am not there to protect anything lol...
eddie

Post by eddie »

tropical Tom wrote:Not one penny spent on paraffin so far this winter icon_cheers icon_cheers :D :D :lol: :lol:
Same here, must have saved some on the energy bill this winter. The ropelights switched on only one night, I've set them to switch on when the temp falls below 1C

icon_thumleft

Only March left to get through I think, March can be extremely cold here
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

eddie wrote:
tropical Tom wrote:
Only March left to get through I think, March can be extremely cold here
Yes, but also warm, 15-20C is not rare in March either.
kata

Post by kata »

April showers.... :lol: :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Adam D wrote:To be honest Stephen I grow my garden really hardy because we often get severe cold spells up here and from a purely selfish point of view I am seriously bored of this perpetual wind and rain as it has turned me into a blinking couch potato!

Stroll on normal winters with cold and mild spells again!
i'm also with you Adam, bar supercold i'd take a "normal" winter here which see's frosts and dryness, with more clear blue skies. My garden is too built with nothing that concerns me when it comes to frost etc

I've not been on the bike since the end of October :shock: :cry:

Biking is a hobby which helps winter fly by. As it stands i've got through more PC games this year from simply being cooped up inside. :lol:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

It certainly now looks like freezes will be absent this winter. However, I would still call this a severe winter for an entirely different reason.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Its been a nasty winter for all sorts of reason, especially gardening, I look forward to rot setting in when in warms up :roll:

In flood prone areas, people may have also lost entire gardens, not many plants can survive being 8 weeks under water.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Its bern very very wet here but hopefully no damage yo plants. All spring bulbs up and some even starting to flower!!....geel very sorry for all those affected by the floods must be one of the worst things yo affect a property.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.