Watch out overnight, the stars come out to play

stephenprudence

Re: Watch out overnight

Post by stephenprudence »

Short term gain for long term pain is how I would describe the weather patterns coming up.

Some pleasant weather for most, up until Saturday, then thereafter some much colder weather, with perhaps notable snow fall in Scotland/Northern England, is starting to emerge. Some hard frosts as well in these areas.. quite an eye opener really.

Probably not as severe as last March, but I would say a period of weather with hints of last March on the way.

I think we'd all better enjoy the next few days in any case.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Its a long way off Stephen, I would wait another couple of days before calling it. It can back off very easily. I like to see some consistency over a couple of days runs before calling it out.
stephenprudence

Quite Nigel, just a heads up.

icon_thumright
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Is this a potential plunge from the northwest, Greenland way?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

still warm this evening, going to be cool tomorrow night potentially tomorrow.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

in reply to the title.... everyone should watch out overnight, as it is always darker and more difficult to see :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote:in reply to the title.... everyone should watch out overnight, as it is always darker and more difficult to see :lol:
Well, I usually shut my eyes and go to sleep instead :mrgreen:
stephenprudence

It;s getting very cold, very quick here.. looks like we will see a rather hard frost, and without doubt the lowest temperatures for nearly a year tonight. 3C currently, easily -3C achievable by dawn - we have absolutely no wind at all tonight, and the temperature is not showing signs of stabilising like it usually does! Staggeringly (or maybe not staggeringly), we have the coldest temperatures in the entirety of England/Wales right now, here. (compared to official stations)
real_ale

Post by real_ale »

stephenprudence wrote:It;s getting very cold, very quick here.. looks like we will see a rather hard frost, and without doubt the lowest temperatures for nearly a year tonight. 3C currently, easily -3C achievable by dawn - we have absolutely no wind at all tonight, and the temperature is not showing signs of stabilising like it usually does! Staggeringly (or maybe not staggeringly), we have the coldest temperatures in the entirety of England/Wales right now, here. (compared to official stations)
you should be ok there Stephen your lows be around +2 - +3 like ours, you even might get some cloud cover later in the night.

car sensor reading +7 @ 2035 hours, duvets and hot water jackets and fleece blankets ready if temps drop lower.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2639409
stephenprudence

Already lower than 2C at the moment with a very thick frost coating everything. Somewhat surprising, no doubt the plants that have survived the winter (the half hardy ones) will be dead by morning. Spring is starting to become the time where, far from everything growing, it is the season of death!
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

:shock: just read this.......bit late.... -2c last night and hard frost and I did not protect anything.... :( new knuckles in Tree ferns, basjoo etc.....gutted
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

stephenprudence wrote:Already lower than 2C at the moment with a very thick frost coating everything. Somewhat surprising, no doubt the plants that have survived the winter (the half hardy ones) will be dead by morning. Spring is starting to become the time where, far from everything growing, it is the season of death!
I bit dramatic Stephen, "season of death?" Surely not? It was cold this morning nothing out of the ordinary. What low did you get?
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

-0.3c, here although a bit surprised, certainly worth it with another lovely in prospect. I have left my basjoo wrapped up though until further notice. Its a tricky one with high temps triggering growth during the day but frost capable of killing the new shoots at night.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

A low of 6.3C last night, I can't believe anyone is getting frosts.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

otorongo wrote:A low of 6.3C last night, I can't believe anyone is getting frosts.
The flip side is that the south won't be getting much sun.