Watch out overnight, the stars come out to play

stephenprudence

Watch out overnight, the stars come out to play

Post by stephenprudence »

First widespread air frost of the Winter tonight in places, ironically, potentially on the last day of Winter. But will it occur on the 28th or the 1st? Almost certainly most places in the Midlands and Western areas will see an air frost to kick off the new month, but whether we will escape on the last day of Winter is yet to be seen.

It will be a fairly moderate frost too with widespread temperatures between -2 and -3C in the west Midlands for example, so it could damage some fresh growth, so those in central areas, probably best putting up some protection, really better to be safe than sorry when growth is so tender at the moment.

Just letting you know.
kata

Re: Watch out overnight tonight

Post by kata »

I was prepared. In anticipation I had covered the Basjoos, and Fern after finishing in the garden yesterday.

And we had a very slight frost overnight.

Now, where is the Spring... :lol:

Thanks Stevie!!
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Well I think I can say that today being the last day Winter, I have avoided any frost here and the lowest temp I've seen has been a 1.4
But maybe Spring will bring a few surprise's, did have snow at Easter a few years back
Leigh
kata

Post by kata »

1st of June is my cutoff for winter Leigh... :lol: :lol:

Snow talk yesterday on BBC news.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

We had a frost last night :evil: nice and sunny today tho..
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Deedee wrote:We had a frost last night :evil: nice and sunny today tho..
and here.....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

And here.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Wow guys, did it kill anything?
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

I had -1C last night, but i was prepared, covered the Chammy, yucca gigantic and Phoenix canariensis_CIDP. Also wrapped the cordyline and brought the washingtonia seedlings inside to bunk with the cycad and some bedding flowers. :D
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

It was frosty here as well.
otorongo wrote:Wow guys, did it kill anything?
No, the -6C at the end of November killed the top growth of most herbaceous stuff.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Looks like spring might be arriving in a few days, after a couple of light spring frosts of -1 or -2C in the next night or two. After mid week it looks like a big change for the better might be on the way. I hope it sticks because we need some warm dry sunny weather to dry up the mud lakes.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Got to just under 2C here, so no frost, at least visible. my phone had said -2C but the garden thermometer said different...which is good as I have nothing protected.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

A low of 4.1C here last night, a few more bitter days and we're good icon_thumleft
stephenprudence

Yes away from inland areas and frost hollows, most of the souther 1/5th of England is fine.. London no problems.. no chance of frost. The area likely (certainly) to be affected during the overnight period will be a loop line containing Northern England from Carlisle east to Albermarle.. Newcastle may just avoid an air frost (difficult to say for certain), then down south, the likes of Blackpool and Southport will probably *just* eek an airfrost, Crosby will definitely record a slight air frost, Liverpool may avoid an airfrost as with part of coastal Wirral, but South Wirral down to Chester could get some moderate air frost, then that moderate air frost risk carries down to Birmingham on towards Yeovil/Bristol broad area. Southampton north is likely to get a hard frost in frost hollow areas, whilst the city itself should just avoid an air frost, and this applies to Portsmouth too. Further east areas should avoid an air frost, but may have a ground frost, although SE Kent will stay largely frost free. Norfolk should avoid an airfrost, except for around the most eastern parts of the Norfolk border, like Cambridge area, who may or may not record an air frost. East coast should be fine, but expect the LIncolnshire wolds, and similar area to also get light air frost.

So the moderate frost areas are likely to be: Southern parts of NW England, West Midlands, and part of inland SW England. (and frost hollows in the south)
stephenprudence

Nigel wrote:Looks like spring might be arriving in a few days, after a couple of light spring frosts of -1 or -2C in the next night or two. After mid week it looks like a big change for the better might be on the way. I hope it sticks because we need some warm dry sunny weather to dry up the mud lakes.
Indeed some nice outputs on the models, I think I saw widespread 14-15C this morning, and given the model underestimates temperature is such situations, high teens would be very nice indeed.

While the frost over the next few days shouldn't damage anything that is dormant still, it may damage stuff that has a awoken, but I can't see any spear pulls, chopping down or evasive fleece action :mrgreen: