Watch out overnight, the stars come out to play

otorongo

Re: Watch out overnight

Post by otorongo »

Looking cold Sat-Tue with frost possible in the SE excepting the coast and London.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
cordyman wrote:my bamboos are going crazy, new culms everywhere, was snapping a load off yesterday which were too close to the wall :cry:

The Fargesias that I planted last year are also shooting like crazy.
No movement on any of my Fargesia yet, and it is normally my rufa or scabrida that start first.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Adam D wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:
cordyman wrote:my bamboos are going crazy, new culms everywhere, was snapping a load off yesterday which were too close to the wall :cry:

The Fargesias that I planted last year are also shooting like crazy.
No movement on any of my Fargesia yet, and it is normally my rufa or scabrida that start first.

That's surprising. Mine poked up in the first week of March, if not before.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

otorongo wrote:Looking cold Sat-Tue with frost possible in the SE excepting the coast and London.
Only the southeast? Probably worst in the west, as usual in these type of frosts.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

stephenprudence wrote:
otorongo wrote:Looking cold Sat-Tue with frost possible in the SE excepting the coast and London.
Only the southeast? Probably worst in the west, as usual in these type of frosts.
You need clear skies and either easterlies or north easterlies for it to be worst in the west.
stephenprudence

Any combination which results in high pressure often results in west having a harder frost in Winter/Spring due to the shelter afforded by the Welsh Mountains and Pennines respectively. Frost hollows not withstanding of course.

It takes a particular scenario for southern/southeastern areas to get colder than western areas in a stagnant high pressure set up, and it's usually light NW airflows.

Fortunately for the last 20 years, most scenarios have been westerly/southwesterly so western areas have had it cosy.

The frosts next week don't look too bad though, just a little chilly by day.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

The Cosy West icon_salut :lol:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The west always gets the worst frosts with easterly or north easterly setups as air travelling from that direction cools as it travels over land, and by the time the air arrives in the west its at its coldest.
When air travels from south or west directions it arrives here after crossing the sea and is warmer. In that scenario north and south east is always colder .
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Nigel wrote:The west always gets the worst frosts with easterly or north easterly setups as air travelling from that direction cools as it travels over land, and by the time the air arrives in the west its at its coldest.
When air travels from south or west directions it arrives here after crossing the sea and is warmer. In that scenario north and south east is always colder .
But the westerlies are milder than the easterlies, so they're not a problem here icon_thumleft
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Sunday night looking scary, it would be very unfortunate to have a frost now after a completely frost-free winter. A frost, even a mild one (say -0.3C) can cause a lot of damage to the leaves and rollers of cannas, alocasias etc., perhaps even nanas. And it may kill off the premature spring growth on deciduous things, e.g. kiwi and grapevines. It won't help the brugmansias wake up either. Get all your fleece out!
stephenprudence

Yes models are showing the potential for -6 or -7C in frost hollows on Sunday night into Monday, and -3C to -5C widespread.. if that occurs it'll be a shock, but it's really too soon to tell, and it could be that it turns out much less frosty than the models are making out.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

stephenprudence wrote:Yes models are showing the potential for -6 or -7C in frost hollows on Sunday night into Monday, and -3C to -5C widespread.. if that occurs it'll be a shock, but it's really too soon to tell, and it could be that it turns out much less frosty than the models are making out.
Stephen any tips for manc, which nights should I chuck on some fleece?
stephenprudence

cordyman wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:Yes models are showing the potential for -6 or -7C in frost hollows on Sunday night into Monday, and -3C to -5C widespread.. if that occurs it'll be a shock, but it's really too soon to tell, and it could be that it turns out much less frosty than the models are making out.
Sunday to Monday seems to be the big one, but most days next week will have frost of some description, it'll probably be mostly light though apart from a few days. The only issue, is daytime highs won't recover very far, probably not reaching 10C outside of London?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Watch out overnight, the stars come out to play

Post by Dave Brown »

I haven't been reading this as seemed another weather blog talking about temps people had had, I had assumed all the forecasting had stopped.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

stephenprudence wrote:
cordyman wrote:
Sunday to Monday seems to be the big one, but most days next week will have frost of some description, it'll probably be mostly light though apart from a few days. The only issue, is daytime highs won't recover very far, probably not reaching 10C outside of London?

I've chucked a couple of fleeces on the echium and recovering Phoenix canariensis_CIDP icon_thumright