Watch out overnight, the stars come out to play

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Watch out overnight, the stars come out to play

Post by Dave Brown »

Nigel wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:It did get cold last night but not as cold as expected, which is a good thing, and we have to take the positives from that.

Stephen, As far as I can see the reliable forecasts were accurate. Its the best start to spring for years , spring is something to enjoy, so i am going to stop reading the endless diatribes of daily express style depression and gloom and enjoy the weather , it just stresses me too much reading it.
Nigel, you seem to be saying as you did not get a frost, no-one got a frost. The map you show has exactly the temperature range Stephen said. Believe it or not there are people growing exotics in cold spots, and from their point of view it must be a pretty accurate call.

I had -1.2C and is the 5th airfrost in 2014 That makes me a cold area for the number of frosts this year.

From a forecast point of view with winds veering around to NE that is the end of any promise of spring for at least the next few days. Here, spring arrives when the NE'lies stop. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

Minus 1. Frost. Thawed by 8 am to strong warm sun. Skies are clear blue. Lovely!
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

No air frost in my part of town with an official low of 0.9c (nearby Wunderground) and probably warmer in the garden.
Last edited by otorongo on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
multim

Post by multim »

Minus 1.9c here. Not for long enough to do any harm.
pdid

Post by pdid »

-0.3 recorded here, as cordy says thawed by 8ish. Echiums look ok which which are the only plants I need to worry about at the moment. Glorious now :D
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Things warming up from around Friday, putting us in the mid-teens territory and 'balmy' nights. Not much sun the first few days, but should improve from around the 1st April. So far so good icon_thumleft and still a frost-free year here icon_cheers
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

-0.7c here, I can live with that, although its the third air frost of the year and all have come this month. Its sunny though a great day for getting some gardening done! icon_sunny
kata

Post by kata »

Pure white,

It was a last minute decider if I covered stuff, good job I did.

-1 at 8am.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

-5C this morning, yuck!

Things haven't grown so much this year so far so there was little that needed protecting (unlike 2 years ago!)
billdango

Post by billdango »

No frost down here in Southampton as the minimum recorded in the City center was +4c.

Fairly sunny on Sunday but a few heavy hail showers ruined the early afternoon.

Today its sunny so far albeit a bit hazy at times and about +11c.

On the plus side no frost is forecast for Southampton for the rest of this week?

billdango icon_sunny
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

-1.5C - first sub-zero since 21 January (-2C)

Had sub-zero on 12-Jan (-2C) and 19 (-1C) & 20-Nov (-2C) - that's it ... so far :)
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Kristen wrote:-1.5C - first sub-zero since 21 January (-2C)

Had sub-zero on 12-Jan (-2C) and 19 (-1C) & 20-Nov (-2C) - that's it ... so far :)
We had a sub-zero on 20 Nov too, -0.8C icon_thumbdown which was enough to blacken an exposed canna, but that's it. The canna under plastic stayed green.

Central London stayed above 3C last night.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Stayed above 0C this morning to my surprise with a minimum of 0.2C at 7.20 am. It was never going to be an issue here.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Local weatherman on radio newcastle reported -7° from somewhere in Northumbs from this morning, the coldest all this winter. Didn't say where, but probably Otterburn.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nothing less than 1 degree here this morning & night/daytime temp's on the up for the next 7 day's so I reckon winter has done it's worst here :) I've already got flower pouch's coming through on some Trachycarpus's.