It's official!

stephenprudence

It's official!

Post by stephenprudence »

Well Meteorologically speaking.. Winter is over!! Roll on Spring!
Nigel

Re: It's official!

Post by Nigel »

So does my 0C I got last night count as winter ? At midnight it was still above freezing so i am guessing its a spring frost and I had a frost free winter.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I told my family that it is the end of winter. Sunny here now and getting on for 11 hours of sunlight, so it does feel like spring with light mornings and evenings. The 13th (wife's b-day) tends to be the very last day we get the possibility of snow and after that is when I put the non-hardy stuff in the GH and clear out from the house.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

In terms of Meteorological winter yes, your 0C occurred in Meteorological Spring. We could open a can of worms, as there are people who swear by astronomical seasons, but in terms of the weather, I don't believe astronomical necessarily works any better than meteorological. Besides, Met-office use meteorological seasons when dealing with the weather.
kata

Post by kata »

Another reason to cover my Peony last night, frosty when I woke but good sunnny day now.

Roll on 20th of March.

icon_cheers
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

It's like we never had a winter here. Still got 3ft of unprotected Basjoo stem standing :DD

AOL forecasts snow and I'm not counting my chickens until May after last year's awful Aprol.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Stonkingly warm here today, i'm going for a bike ride to celebrate the drying out trails :D
pdid

Post by pdid »

cordyman wrote:Stonkingly warm here today, i'm going for a bike ride to celebrate the drying out trails :D
Nipped up to Grizedale yesterday!
10001473_10200937422512691_69983318_n.jpg
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

I really hope the developments like GFS is going trough next week. GFS and also EC have shown some really first sign's of springweather for next weekend. If this will come true (Depending on sunshine) lot's of people will be outside that weekend to have some drinks. :)

Bilt Area
MT8_De_Bilt_ens (1).png
kata

Post by kata »

Still got 3ft of unprotected Basjoo stem standing :DD
Hope I have left what I planted G, both were new last autumn.

I expect some snow.

icon_cheers
multim

Post by multim »

I agree that Spring is here! Oh there are some out of date people that believe Spring comes with the equinox but c'mon folks, let's just get on with it...... nature has!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

pdid wrote:
cordyman wrote:Stonkingly warm here today, i'm going for a bike ride to celebrate the drying out trails :D
Nipped up to Grizedale yesterday!
The attachment 10001473_10200937422512691_69983318_n.jpg is no longer available

Very nice Pdid! icon_cheers icon_salut

Today was the first bike ride of 2014, and its only been rain free for a week, but I was very impressed at how dry the trails were! very little gloop! Only had a tshirt and fleece on, down to tshirt at some points as sun was very warm! Look how shiny the bike is still :lol: Even after a frosty winter this isn't usual after a March ride, normally head to toe in mud!
Attachments
blue.jpg
pdid

Post by pdid »

My second but been off the bike 18 months before that with family commitments.

There was still plenty of gloop up in the Lakes, we took the extended route over the moor and ended up cycling through puddles 2 and a half foot deep! It's all part of the fun though :D
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I don't put much importance in any of those official dates arbitrarily chosen to mark the end or beginning of something... spring, a year, etc.

Spring is when it gets warmer, the sun shines stronger and life wakes up icon_sunny It has no sharp beginning, but rather evolves slowly from winter. And I can happily say that spring is quite advanced now.

I understand you guys wanted that frost to occur after midnight, as that's what will be recorded in the 'winter' and 'spring' MetOffice stats, but to the plants it doesn't matter ;)
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

So does my lone -0.5c minimum in November and snow-flake free December to February mean I have endured an unofficial winter?