amazing differances in the thames estuary

philip kitts

amazing differances in the thames estuary

Post by philip kitts »

whilst sorting out my febuary data I was amazed to see stark differences to the kent and Essex coasts in both temp and precipitation :ahhh!:
    • Essex coast precipitation mm average temp c
      leigh on sea 80 7.6
      corringham 25.4 7.5
      laindon 37.8 7.4
      chadwell 30.7 7.1

kent coast
      isle of grain 64.5 6.5
      Rochester 106.9 6.9
      chalk [color=#0000FF] 101.6
      [/color]Bexley heath 111.3 7.7
this data came from wundermap, most of the stations are less then ten miles apart .
my geography is quite good but im at a loss to understand how there is such a difference. icon_scratch
Last edited by philip kitts on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
philip kitts

Re: amazing differances in the thames estuary

Post by philip kitts »

philip kitts wrote:whilst sorting out my febuary data I was amazed to see stark differences to the kent and Essex coasts in both temp and precipitation :ahhh!:
    • Essex coast precipitation mm average temp c
      leigh on sea 80 7.6
      corringham 25.4 7.5
      laindon 37.8 7.4
      chadwell 30.7 7.1

kent coast
      isle of grain 64.5 6.5
      Rochester 106.9 6.9
      chalk 101.6 6.5
      Bexleyheath 111.3 7.7

this data came from wundermap, most of the stations are less then ten miles apart .
      my geography is quite good but im at a loss to understand how there is such a difference. icon_scratch

apologies for my hashup of the graph it wouldn't paste icon_geek
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I think the difference - at least in the case of temperature - might be coming from the fact the different Wunderground stations are not correctly calibrated or placed. When I look at the temps in my garden, one end of it can easily be 5C warmer than the other, so it's not hard to imagine the placement of the sensor could make a big difference. Even when I cycle from home to the tube station I often feel waves of heat and cold as my surroundings change from park to terraced houses etc.
billdango

Post by billdango »

I have noticed it here in Southampton as well.

There can be a temperature difference of as much as 4c between town center and the road that I live in.

When it snows it will settle and lie for sometimes many days longer then in the City center.

I have sometimes seen snow up to 8 inches deep on the highest points around the City but only 1 or 2 inches deep by the City Marlands shopping center.

As for rainfall I don,t know as I haven,t a rain gauge.

Also I noticed that if there is a stiff frost in my garden the higher ground around only has a light frost or none at all.

These things can make a big difference how one does exotic gardening and the types of plants that can be grown.

billdango icon_sunny