From 5 March sun strong enough that we don't need to travel

otorongo

From 5 March sun strong enough that we don't need to travel

Post by otorongo »

I've read somewhere that the worst latitude one can be and still get enough UV all year round is 34 degs, the latitude of Atlanta.

On the winter solstice, Atlanta gets 32.5 deg sun (90-(34+23.5)). If that's strong enough, it follows that from the 5th March - that is in 2 days - London will start being self-sufficient - assuming the same sky clarity etc. icon_cheers

The season of deficit and deprivation is slowly coming to an end icon_sunny

It's also looking rather sunny, so the only problem I can see now is that the air temperatures may not be warm enough to encourage people to expose a lot of skin. And you can't get much UV through a t-shirt...
billdango

Re: From 5 March sun strong enough that we don't need to tra

Post by billdango »

otorongo wrote:I've read somewhere that the worst latitude one can be and still get enough UV all year round is 34 degs, the latitude of Atlanta.

On the winter solstice, Atlanta gets 32.5 deg sun (90-(34+23.5)). If that's strong enough, it follows that from the 5th March - that is in 2 days - London will start being self-sufficient - assuming the same sky clarity etc. icon_cheers

The season of deficit and deprivation is slowly coming to an end icon_sunny

It's also looking rather sunny, so the only problem I can see now is that the air temperatures may not be warm enough to encourage people to expose a lot of skin. And you can't get much UV through a t-shirt...
Atlanta also gets nearly twice as much sunshine through the year then London gets.[1.480 hours].

I think its about 2.680 hours a year and thats nearly as much as the south of France.

So I think that would make a huge difference in how it feels to be outside there.

billdango icon_thumleft
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I think London gets more than 1480 hours these days, those stats are from the 1960-1990 or something... Now it's closer to 1600.

But I don't think the sunshine hours make that big a difference. You need the sun to be high enough first and foremost. Once it is, you'll find enough gaps in the cloud cover to get your daily (or at least weekly) fix icon_thumleft
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

You are obsessed with sunshine and UV, lol!

There are other things that can make you happy and increase your quality of life.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Adam D wrote:You are obsessed with sunshine and UV, lol!

There are other things that can make you happy and increase your quality of life.
Yeah, bagpipes and sheep.