chances for central London to be subtropical this year

otorongo

Post by otorongo »

According to Wikipedia:
Several methods have been used to define the subtropical climate. In the Trewartha climate classification system, a subtropical region should have at least eight months with a mean temperature of 10 °C (50.0 °F) or above.
This month's average so far for the Bloomsbury Wunderground station is 9.9C, and it's only the 11th. It is quite likely to exceed 10C by the end of the month.

The averages for March and April, taken from the London Weather Centre (not sure where it is?) are 8.0 and 9.8C, respectively, so that's a very likely scenario, especially if you consider how warm the sea is. Fingers crossed!

If March averages above 10C, April in all likelihood will follow suit, and May - October typically average above 10C. That would be 8 months averaging above 10C, putting us in the posh subtropical club icon_thumleft

Even if March takes a 180 degree turn and April disappoints us, there should be areas close to walls etc. that will end up subtropical. I'm sure parts of my garden will be subtropical now that the sycamore next door has been cut down and I have more sun, which equals more daytime heat and improves the averages.

Oh, how good it feels to live in the subtropics icon_sunny
GREVILLE

Re: chances for central London to be subtropical this year

Post by GREVILLE »

You'll have those red lipstick and coconut palms growing in NW London yet, OT
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

GREVILLE wrote:You'll have those red lipstick and coconut palms growing in NW London yet, OT
I'm afraid they're tropical, not subtropical. But we'll get there icon_thumleft
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

:lol: I was assuming the London climate was going to improve further to tropical levels 33c - 66% . :lol: humidity. (My son, a Londoner, had this today in Brazil, perhaps he can bring this back when he returns in the summer icon_thumright).
billdango

Post by billdango »

A lot more palm trees should be grown in London but the problem is many of the houses in the city area have such tiddly gardens.

We now know that the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and Washingtonia palms can grow and thrive there so why not try more exoticslike B armata and A romanzoffianum that should do well in sheltered courtyards?

So much can still be done and a lot more exotics should be grown in that City.

London could still look like Sochi in 20 years from now.

billdango icon_sunny
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

March average so far: 10.4C. So we are on the right track icon_thumleft
billdango wrote:A lot more palm trees should be grown in London but the problem is many of the houses in the city area have such tiddly gardens.
The tiddly gardens can be an advantage... wherever you plant your palm, it won't be too far from a wall ;)
billdango

Post by billdango »

otorongo wrote:March average so far: 10.4C. So we are on the right track icon_thumleft
billdango wrote:A lot more palm trees should be grown in London but the problem is many of the houses in the city area have such tiddly gardens.
The tiddly gardens can be an advantage... wherever you plant your palm, it won't be too far from a wall ;)
All the more reason to grow A romanzoffianum as they love a nice inclosed space that helps keep them protected from wind and also keeps them safe in winter.

I bet there are hundreds of palms and exotics growing in central London right now that we will never know about as they are being grown in back yards and inclosed private courtyards.

If google earth was a lot clearer close up we could examine these areas and see just what is being grown there.

billdango :D
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Great news: Central London has made it! The mean temp for the Bloomsbury station (WG) for March 1-30 is 10.0C and the 31st will raise it even higher.

April - October are guaranteed to be above 10C, so we can now say with certainty we're subtropical icon_cheers

It will also be interesting to see the mean temp over the past 12 months on the 1st July, if the warm spring continues I guess some kind of record will be beaten.
rahul221sharmaa

Post by rahul221sharmaa »

Google duo for pc