Frost warning - Sunday 23 March

otorongo

Frost warning - Sunday 23 March

Post by otorongo »

Starting another thread as people seem to have stopped following the other one after the period of mild weather and the thread still being active.

So... This Sunday night many in the UK may see their first frost of 2014.

As this is nothing like a mid-winter freeze, the stuff to be concerned about is the frost-tender premature spring growth and things you may have unwrapped, moved outside or planted out prematurely.
Nigel

Re: Frost warning - Sunday 23 March

Post by Nigel »

Yes a lot of people probably got carried away with tender stuff , the old sayings are based on not to plant tender stuff until May is out ! You are not safe from spring frosts until mid may at least. As the weather improves we have to expect some spring frosts under high pressure and clear skies. I can remember some glorious early May weather, with temperatures into the 20,s by day and frosts at night.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Seen some frost here last night :(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've had -2.5C already in 2014.

My plants are moved out in stages so near hardy can stay out as can take several degrees of frost.

Although new growth is at risk frost at this time of year is not likely to kill large exotics. The sun is as high as in Florida in mid winter, so we are now in a real zone 8 to 9 position.
Attachments
2012-10-19 Keep Calm.JPG
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright