Heatwave

Blairs

Heatwave

Post by Blairs »

I have 3 Acacia, 1 sailed through winter and 2 died back. One has come back from the branches and one has not done much as I cut back the branches. So not cutting it back is the way to go. I need to check if the latter one has come back from the root.
otorongo

Heatwave

Post by otorongo »

My house has been unbearable these recent days, last Saturday I woke up at 5am to 28C in my bedroom.
I haven't been able to enjoy the garden as it doesn't have any shade and just walking through it is a challenge I take on with trepidation. I've been sluggish and sick from this weather, spending much of my home time lying on the floor, sleeping and waiting for the short night to bring some relief and regain a little bit of energy. The only refuge is the new outbuilding, which stays reasonably cool (doesn't go above 28-29C even in the hottest afternoon hours), has a fan, air-conditioning and a shower, which I use for cold showers.

The sea is much warmer than usual, e.g. the sea near Rye, Sussex, where I went last weekend, is 18.6C today, 3.4C above average. It was chilly on the beach, but hot in town, some 2-3 miles inland.

I'm going to wait until September and replace some or all of the plants killed by this evil spell. I'm watering plants that are defoliated and don't even know if they're still alive.
Blairs

Heatwave

Post by Blairs »

That is a good thing in some ways Otto as it means that your house is well insulated. My house has been too warm at night as south facing and keeps the warmth, esp upstairs. In warm countries they close windows between 10am till late evening and draw curtains to keep the heat out. Opening windows early and late, esp if you can get a cross wind lowers the temps and makes it more bearable. It has been years since I have had this problem tbh. Looks like 20s most days here but with rain from Thursday but I welcome that.
otorongo

Heatwave

Post by otorongo »

My lounge is south-facing and has a large patio door covering 90% of the wall, which creates a strong greenhouse effect. Still the solar heat gain is greater in the cooler months when the sun is low - on sunny winter days it may be 26C while it's 8C outside, whereas in June-July it's 27-30C inside while the highs/lows outside are 30C / 18C. I'm thinking of installing a retractable awning over the patio door to keep the summer heat out of the lounge and make the patio more usable. As it stands, I'm more likely to have lunch outside on a sunny January day than in the summer heat.

No sign of rain here, but it's cooling down - we have a 24C high forecast in 12 days :thumbsup:
GREVILLEAJ

Heatwave

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Coming back from the Canaries to see most of the plants in good health, (thanks, son) but the lawn is looking very yellow. I may have to live with a measure of guilt and a measure of hose water if the heatwave continues.
Tom2006

Heatwave

Post by Tom2006 »

We are often dry in East Yorkshire but this spell is proving to be exceptional! Very hot again this weekend. I must have used thousands of gallons watering my relatively small garden and I'm on a meter. I don't mind though and love this heat. I just hope it persists through the summer holidays.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Adam D

Heatwave

Post by Adam D »

What is the outlook for the next few weeks Tom?
Tom2006

Heatwave

Post by Tom2006 »

Adam D wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:42 pm What is the outlook for the next few weeks Tom?
Hi Adam. Hope you're well.
It's looking less hot and Northern and western areas of the UK might see some rain
But most areas are going to I have to rely on the odd shower. After this weekend
Temperatures look set to fall back into the low to mid twenties for many but no current signals that indicate the Atlantic is going to wake up.
Adam D

Heatwave

Post by Adam D »

Hi Tom,

I am good thanks.

I hope that everything is okay with you.

Thanks for the outlook. As long as the weather doesn't go the same as it did in late July last year I will be happy.

Cheers

Adam
otorongo

Heatwave

Post by otorongo »

Forecast from hell, with one day with a 34C high and 22C low :(
weatheronline 23 July 2018
weatheronline 23 July 2018
simpleton2

Heatwave

Post by simpleton2 »

Blairs wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:41 am In warm countries they close windows between 10am till late evening and draw curtains to keep the heat out. Opening windows early and late, esp if you can get a cross wind lowers the temps and makes it more bearable.
That's why houses here have shutters - people close them during the day and reopen them in the evening and overnight. I don't bother with doing that but the house I live in has stone walls almost a metre thick which really helps to keep it cooler (and warmer in winter)
Adam D

Heatwave

Post by Adam D »

otorongo wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:11 pm Forecast from hell, with one day with a 34C high and 22C low :(

23 jul 2018.PNG
I thought that you liked the heat?

Or has it passed gone to high?

We have had a couple of hours of heavy rain this evening, which will be good for the garden and my lawn.
otorongo

Heatwave

Post by otorongo »

It's been too much for too long. I'd probably enjoy it on a tropical beach in the middle of a British winter, but not as an all-summer-long heatwave in the city.

It hasn't rained here for 2 months (?), the only good thing about it is the grass is not growing.
Tom2006

Heatwave

Post by Tom2006 »

otorongo wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:03 pm It's been too much for too long. I'd probably enjoy it on a tropical beach in the middle of a British winter, but not as an all-summer-long heatwave in the city.

It hasn't rained here for 2 months (?), the only good thing about it is the grass is not growing.
Oto I thought you loved living in subtropical London?! Don't you regularly have the high 30Cs?!
Tom2006

Heatwave

Post by Tom2006 »

Adam D wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:21 am Hi Tom,

I am good thanks.

I hope that everything is okay with you.

Thanks for the outlook. As long as the weather doesn't go the same as it did in late July last year I will be happy.

Cheers

Adam
Doing well thanks Adam. Could do with an early retirement so I had some time but maybe in another life lol

Looks like this heat for many is going to continue at least until the end of the first week in August and could potentially see the UK hot temperature record broken. A rare thing indeed especially in the summer holidays.