Why can't I send or respond to Personal Messages?

GoggleboxUK

Re: Why can't I send or respond to Personal Messages?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Kyle wrote:
GoggleboxUK wrote:I think Dave just needs to do the admin click thing and you'll be free to send abuse oops I mean messages to all and sundry.

;)
That would be good. Still, It ought to be clarified for others when it crops up in the future.

P.S. I'd love to throw a £20 your way, Goggs, how about a Heracleum mantegazzianum instead? There's plenty of them been cropping up around Huddersfield. :oops: icon_aaargh
Great, I've always wanted one of those. Box it up and I'll PM you my address....

Oh, wait.... there's the problem right there!

:lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Kyle wrote:It's just unfair that you're unable to respond to PM's and makes you feel like you're being ignorant. If this is a time/post requirement thing then it would be best to prevent messages being received during that time.
I could have sworn I could reply to PMs before I was allowed to Create one ... but I may be wrong.

I'll send you a test PM ...
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Kristen wrote:
Kyle wrote:It's just unfair that you're unable to respond to PM's and makes you feel like you're being ignorant. If this is a time/post requirement thing then it would be best to prevent messages being received during that time.
I could have sworn I could reply to PMs before I was allowed to Create one ... but I may be wrong.

I'll send you a test PM ...
Got your message through fine Kristen, thanks. It's still not letting me send out though.
Breizhman

Post by Breizhman »

I'm a New member on the Website and i have the same issue as you've got guys :

I'm not allowed to send messages .. and i do not even know if i receive them

Some members ask us to answer in PM for some request , whatever it may be...

However, if we can not do it, even doing the control panel process , so what the solution?

We must write on the forum with the hope that the person we want to talk to might ear our sos call :lol: ?

Because i do not understand if it is not a tecnical issue, what we should do to be members able to send PM

There would be much more interactivity on the website if we can get the solution to the mp message i think :) hope you cn find a solution soon, thanks :)
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I'm sure Dave will see your post and sort it out for you

;)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

As I understand it the Admins (quite reasonably) want to make sure that new users are not here with the express intent of spamming other users, so they are cautious about upgrading users as that would enable them to do that, if they were so inclined.

Posting on the forums may help establish your credentials more quickly?? ...

... other than that using the Technical Support link at the bottom of the page is (I think) the only route to send a message to the Admins.
kata

Post by kata »

Admin works, both of them.

Dave.......... icon_study icon_study this message.

:lol: :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ok. let's put this to bed.

Some people try to register with as little information as possible, not trusting us with their info, like a name, but expecting us to trust them, not knowing them from Dick or Harry, to post on the forum. Blatant use of proxies are always denied any access so the registration is rejected. Most common reasons for rejection are :

example
Username Fred Blogs
Name Fred Blogs
Email fredblogs-at-live.com
Location UK
IP address = Karachi Pakistan.

Then if the registration looks genuine admin accept the user and they become a registered user, with limited funtionality. The block on sending PMs is due to the potential of sellers, undesirables, or terrorists etc. using PMs to communicate, or spam, without ever needing to post or be active on the forum, and until they have posted and introduced themselves we don't know they are genuine.

There is no automatic way of unlocking Registered User+ as admin wants to positively vet those wishing to use PMs It is generally a limit of 10 posts but there is no guarantee, or right, for this to be granted.

Hope that explains the situation.

If anyone has not been raised to registered user +, and thinks they should have been, they need to use the contact link at the bottom of every page to send an email. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Thanks Dave,

Its asleep. :lol: :lol:

Maybe sticky it.
Rod

Post by Rod »

I don't get the option of joining Registered Users+ group. ( It only offers me Registered Users ) - Why is this?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Dave Brown wrote:Username Fred Blogs
Name Fred Blogs
Email fredblogs-at-live.com
Location UK
IP address = Karachi Pakistan.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Rod wrote:I don't get the option of joining Registered Users+ group. ( It only offers me Registered Users ) - Why is this?
No-one gets an option to join the group they are already in. Look at your profile :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Kristen »

Dave Brown wrote:Ok. let's put this to bed.
Thanks Dave. I think your explanation is exactly what was needed for future newbies to know what to expect (and terrorists to go and do their Tropical gardening somewhere else, no matter how Hardy they think they are!)
kata

Post by kata »

No-one gets an option to join the group they are already in. Look at your profile
Thanks for the update Dave!
icon_salut
Rod

Post by Rod »

Dave Brown wrote:
Rod wrote:I don't get the option of joining Registered Users+ group. ( It only offers me Registered Users ) - Why is this?
No-one gets an option to join the group they are already in. Look at your profile :wink:
Thanks Dave