How to upload pictures to the forum

GoggleboxUK

How to upload pictures to the forum

Post by GoggleboxUK »

For all those members who can't access the forum feature, here's a guide to adding pictures:

First go to Imageshack and register an account (it's free and simple).

http://imageshack.us/

This is the Home page of Imageshack, you can return here at any time by clicking the frog.

Select 800 x 600 from the drop box as shown:

Click the Browse button and navigate to your chosen picture then click upload.

A loading bar will appear then you'll be taken to a links page for your image:

Highlight Direct Link by right clicking on the text then copy it:

Now you've got the URL for your image return to HTUK and add it to your post by clicking the IMG tag button:

This will add Image tag BBcode into your post with the text cursor flashing between the start and end coding:

Paste in your image URL so it looks like this:

and you're done! Submit your post and the picture will appear as if by magic!

:DD
The Codfather

Re: How to upload pictures to the forum

Post by The Codfather »

I don't use image shack.....I use photobucket :D Can you do another with Photobucket incase Arlon use's that too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

can you do a "join the dots " version too :lol: :lol:

Nice job Goggle, nice of you to take the time icon_thumleft
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

I have FastStone Image Viewer on my pc - truly excellent program to download after windows couldn't be bothered to give you one for windows 7

All I have to do is create a new folder on my Desktop for forum pictures (because I don't want resized images in with the originals)

I open the picture I want (almost invariably too large to upload as taken with my N97 5MP camera so some 0.8 to 1.4MB each one) then I right cick on it to open the menu and choose save as. There I change the directory up the top to the forum pictures folder.

Then in options next to the jpeg image quality number, the screen shows two images side by side with a sliding bar underneath and the percentage number next to it of the original image. The two images then show the original image and the resized one according to what the number on the sliding bar is moved to. Underneath the pictures the file size is given. Once this file size is under 600K it can go onto the forum.

So go to the HTUK forum page and select the forum pictures folder where the newly resized picture can be found, select it from there and upload it onto the site
Bob

Post by Bob »

Scott Radford wrote:I have FastStone Image Viewer on my pc - truly excellent program to download after windows couldn't be bothered to give you one for windows 7

All I have to do is create a new folder on my Desktop for forum pictures (because I don't want resized images in with the originals)

I open the picture I want (almost invariably too large to upload as taken with my N97 5MP camera so some 0.8 to 1.4MB each one) then I right cick on it to open the menu and choose save as. There I change the directory up the top to the forum pictures folder.

Then in options next to the jpeg image quality number, the screen shows two images side by side with a sliding bar underneath and the percentage number next to it of the original image. The two images then show the original image and the resized one according to what the number on the sliding bar is moved to. Underneath the pictures the file size is given. Once this file size is under 600K it can go onto the forum.

So go to the HTUK forum page and select the forum pictures folder where the newly resized picture can be found, select it from there and upload it onto the site
Hi Scott,
Have you also tried Fastone resizer? it will batch convert a whole folder at a time in seconds. Just set it to 800 x 600 highlight a folder or parts of and hit convert. icon_thumright
jezza

Post by jezza »

I don't use any, simply upload direct to the forum. Little box below the 'preview/submit/save/cancel' buttons that says 'browse'. simples!
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

jezza wrote:I don't use any, simply upload direct to the forum. Little box below the 'preview/submit/save/cancel' buttons that says 'browse'. simples!
GoggleboxUK wrote:For all those members who can't access the forum feature
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

jezza wrote:I don't use any, simply upload direct to the forum. Little box below the 'preview/submit/save/cancel' buttons that says 'browse'. simples!
:lol: Thats my limit at the mo.

The reason i want to do it this other way is so i can upload pics and then when posted you don't have to click on them to view,
kata

Post by kata »

Course, its the easiet way is to use browse. At Image shack everyone can dl, at least here or on any forum people usually ask..or they should if they can use.

I know they all end up in the cache but thats not a given permission to use.

I have made at least two posts helping , showing how to post Images on these forums. There is always a new member who is new to forums and needs help to upload their images.

Just allow the browse function to access your files and choose. Of course you first have to get your images via your digi camera then upload.

Computer or laptop
Camera
USB Cable
Hardy Tropicals.
Browse

If you must use an online photo file host here is another option:

http://www.mediafire.com/
icon_cheers
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

Yes and isn't that how we all do it? icon_scratch

BUT if the pictures are taken originally with a 5MP camera they will be up to 1.4MB in size. select one such as this and the site will tell you it is not able to be uploaded as it is larger than 600K and that is why they have to be resized specifically to get onto the forum.

If you can upload pictures that you've taken with your camera without resizing first then you must have one that's more like 2MP to give you 600K images to use
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Or, as I do, you can upload IMb, 2Mb or 4Mb pictures to Imageshack and link them into the forum at the same resolution just modified size to fit the space on screen.

Which is the whole point of this tutorial and topic, no need to click to englarge, no need to resize and bigger, sharper pictires in your post.

icon_salut
jezza

Post by jezza »

Scott Radford wrote:
Yes and isn't that how we all do it? icon_scratch

BUT if the pictures are taken originally with a 5MP camera they will be up to 1.4MB in size. select one such as this and the site will tell you it is not able to be uploaded as it is larger than 600K and that is why they have to be resized specifically to get onto the forum.

If you can upload pictures that you've taken with your camera without resizing first then you must have one that's more like 2MP to give you 600K images to use
Only takes me 2 minutes to resize a dozen pics so doesn't bother me.
kata

Post by kata »

Me neither Jez,

I iuse Adobe also I have Roxio which used to be Photosuite. Just go to Image in Adobe and fill in the size to 800 x 600...or less...then browse, no need for tuts really.

:mrgreen:
TOP BANANA

Post by TOP BANANA »

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Almost, but when adding your post on the forum I think you clicked the URL tag rather than the img so it posted your pic as a link instead of inserting the image into your post.

You definitely got the hosting right though/

;)