Picture settings

Ste

Picture settings

Post by Ste »

Have the picture settings been changed on the forum? Every picture I have uploaded in the past has been re-sized to 800x600 and uploads perfectley. The last few weeks, after I have spent ages writing something then trying to upload a picture, the screen goes white and I loose everything :x
The only way I can get pictures on now is to re-size them to 500x300 and they work fine but they are smaller when uploaded. What's happened icon_scratch
flounder

Re: Picture settings

Post by flounder »

every thing seems ok here Ste
Attachments
SDC12833.jpg
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

Looks a bit windy in Brighton :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Testin..

800 x 600
Attachments
siberischertigerde.jpg
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

im pretty sure its image size not dimensions that matters

600kb size limit regardless of dimensions
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

That's like a red rag to a bull ... this is some 2,200 x 2,600 and shrunk down to 360K
Attachments
IMG_1584_ExoticBananas.jpg
Ste

Post by Ste »

Strange icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch I use and always have used VSO image resizer 4. Its always been fine in the past when ive changed the width to 800 and height to 600. It just wont upload now at that size, keeps going to.......... internet explorer cannot display this website. As soon as I make them 500x300 they upload no problem.
I wonder if ive caught something by accident but I dont think I have, nothing seems different. The options I have are... When I put the required size in, I can select pixels, percent, inches or centimetres. I'm positive its always been set to pixels. Also under mode the options are... fit, stretch, centre, crop or retarget. It has always been set to ''fit'' God knows why its not working now. Maybe time to download a new re-sizing programme.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I think you need to do two separate things.

Firstly to resize it to the size you want as the size from your camera is (presuambly?) bigger than it needs to be. e.g. 800 x 600

Second is to reduce the "quality" to make the filesize smaller e.g. 70%

Reducing the pixels to, say, 800 x 600 without reducing the quality will still leave you with quite a large filesize.

Perhaps: reduce an image, and save it to disk, as you normally do then do Right-Click + Properties on the saved file and see how big the file is? If its huge then that's the problem, if not then sorry I've no more ideas.

If the file is larger than you expect there must be some other setting on your Config for filesize-reduction (I use 70% for web images if that is any help)

If you are looking for a change :) then I use http://www.irfanview.com/

No idea how it fares against others, but you can resize easily enough, and when you save there is a slider-control for what percentage quality you want. It remembers the setting you used last time, but its right in-your-face when you save, so you can adjust it if you need to.

There's also a mediocre drawing tool, so you can put arrows / text boxes etc on a picture if you want.
kata

Post by kata »

800 x600 no more than 600KB,

You should see red writing above the text box warning file size is too big. Getting it under 600KB usually fixes it.

My Tiger is 800 x600 with 119KB

icon_sunny
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:800 x600 no more than 600KB
Image I uploaded above is 2,200 x 2,600 icon_scratch
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

By the by, regarding loss of quality by reducing filesize, if you are interested here's a site I've used over the years when I have wanted to produce the smallest file possible without noticeable loss of quality (rather than just using a blanket 70% as obviously it varies from picture-to-picture)

http://www.netmechanic.com/products/GIF ... mple.shtml

Point it to a URL of a photo on the internet (probably no point uploading one, the filesize limit is 256,000). Best to use a high quality image straight-from-camera to see the effects, but if the image width/height is vast it will make it more difficult to make the subsequent comparison

Here's one you can try:

Its 800px x 600px and 500KB (I only changed the size, not reduced the quality)

http://kgarden.files.wordpress.com/2012 ... 00x600.jpg

The GifBot will output a number of images, vertically, with various degrees of compression. The top one is the original, the bottom one is "lousy".

Scroll right to the bottom (maximum compression) and an obviously poor quality image. Make sure the mouse is OUTSIDE all images. Move the mouse OVER the image and the original will replace the compressed image. You will see the quality change. Move the mouse Outside/Inside the image alternately to "strobe" the image quality.

That last image is clearly not good enough, but its 95% compression! The original 500KB image is down to 25KB!

Move up to the penultimate one. For me that's almost good enough for an ordinary web photo, and that's 91% compression / 45KB !

The one at 80% compression is getting to the point where I can't see any difference that is actually going to matter (yeah we can split hairs, but Dave is paying for the hosting of this site ...) and even if I needed to show a picture in detail, for identification of a bug or somesuch, 58% has (to my eye) no quality difference.

Right ... I'll get my coat then!
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Kristen wrote:... here's a site I've used over the years ...

http://www.netmechanic.com/products/GIF ... mple.shtml

Point it to a URL of a photo on the internet ...
Doesn't work. Tried pointing it to a pic on wiki commons, and it gives this error message:
Sorry!

We were unable to process your home page because the file was not found on your server.
And why do they insist on your providing an email address, when that isn't relevant to the image to process??
kata

Post by kata »

Kriisten,

Look at the img imfo. that banana is 421 x500px with a KB of 48.44 well within.

Right click the Image.

icon_sunny
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Conifers wrote:Doesn't work. Tried pointing it to a pic on wiki commons, and it gives this error message:
Sorry!

We were unable to process your home page because the file was not found on your server.
I'm sure you weren't doing this, but you didn't use the UPLOAD IMAGE box instead of the URL one did you? Try with my image URL for an experiment perhaps?

"And why do they insist on your providing an email address, when that isn't relevant to the image to process??[//i]"

yeah, daft isn't it, but I suppose 'coz its a free service and they want to try to flog you something in return. However, they don't email you a "key" to the image results or any such, so [email protected] would be fine I expect. I've been using this site for donkeys years (since around 2000 I think) and I don't remember it changing, so its probably whatever seemed sensible way-back-then.

kata wrote:Look at the img imfo. that banana is 421 x500px with a KB of 48.44 well within.

Sorry Kata I don't know what exactly you are referring to.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:Kriisten,

Look at the img imfo. that banana is 421 x500px with a KB of 48.44 well within.

Right click the Image.

icon_sunny
Ah, I think I got it. The image above? Instead of right-click just do a normal-click on it, it will open in a new window the full size file that I uploaded.

Here's a link to the image that the Forum is showing you in-the-post, that it has scaled down:

www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/download ... =41910&t=1

and here's a link to the full sized image the forum has actually stored (and which is what I uploaded)

www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/download ... &mode=view