Wood to concrete fence posts - advice?

Tom2006

Wood to concrete fence posts - advice?

Post by Tom2006 »

I have a guy coming around to change one length of fencing (some posts rotted through) from 4" wood posts to 4" concrete slotted posts. I am keeping the fence panels. Looking and thinking today (it may seem obvious to you guys) but isn't there going to be a slight shortfall in my fence due to the panels slotting into the concrete posts? How can I/he get around this?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
The Codfather

Re: Wood to concrete fence posts - advice?

Post by The Codfather »

Wood for me.......
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Tom2006 wrote:I have a guy coming around to change one length of fencing (some posts rotted through) from 4" wood posts to 4" concrete slotted posts. I am keeping the fence panels. Looking and thinking today (it may seem obvious to you guys) but isn't there going to be a slight shortfall in my fence due to the panels slotting into the concrete posts? How can I/he get around this?
Are you sure the existing wooden posts are 4"? I do a lot of fencing and would rarely use 4"! Usually 3" Also when you weigh up the cost of wood posts against concrete posts there's really not much difference, it's virtually the same job to put either up too, usually people choose wood because of the weight difference, which is fine at first but it'll need doing again in a few years! Concrete posts, gravel boards and feather edge panels is the way to go, then you can forget about it for years to come icon_cheers
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

All my new fencing is 4"......but my arbour 3"
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

That's alright if you like concrete posts. :lol:

I usually use 3" too, except for gate posts.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Vagetarian wrote:That's alright if you like concrete posts. :lol:

icon_scratch they are wood and not concrete.
AKA - Martin

Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

The Codfather wrote:
Vagetarian wrote:That's alright if you like concrete posts. :lol:

icon_scratch they are wood and not concrete.
That was in reply to Toms sales pitch for concrete posts :lol:

Not that I don't totally agree with Tom, I just really don't like them! :P
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Ah..... :oops:

Got to agree with you.....I have been slowley removing all mine.....bit by bit.
AKA - Martin

Deedee

Post by Deedee »

You can paint concrete posts, I think, im sure ive seen the painted brown, somewhere!
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

You most certainly should be able to paint it with any masonry paint.

You can also get them like this

Call me fussy but it's still not winning me over yet. :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Thanks for all the replies. Although I have already got the concrete posts. In the long run they are more cost effective and environmentally friendly as once in they will never need to come out and I can paint them. The wooden posts are just shy of 4" as are the new concrete ones.

Anyway, although I have enjoyed reading the replies, I didn't start the thread for a discussion on the merits of wood/concrete posts, I was wondering if anyone could advise me regarding the question. No problems if not icon_thumleft
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Sorry Tom! :)

You're right, there will be a shortfall. A 4" post is usually around 100mm. I don't know what the 'middle' of a slotted post measures after the rebates (never dealt with one), 50-60mm?. So you will probably have up to 2" of deficit per post.

The best bet would be to do a proper job but I guess that involves starting again. You could just tack a piece of wood down the sides of each panel to fit into the rebate.

It's not easy to come up with a solution to a problem you can't see. There's always a way around it but it's a case of being there and thinking it out.

EDIT: And you are totally right about concrete posts. They are superior really.

You could also move all the posts so the panels fit properly and use a piece of timber as an 'infill' for the remaining space?
khaskings

Post by khaskings »

A piece of batten on the vertical edges as mentioned above to take up any slack. Done it before.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Nice one thanks for the advice about the batons seems obvious now you have said it but as you can probably guess DIY isn't my strongest skill.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

fasten a tresure treated roofing latt on the end of the panels.
AKA - Martin