Computer tip

Conifers

Computer tip

Post by Conifers »

Computer working very slowly? Crashing frequently?

When did you last clean it out?

Mine wasn't doing well. Took the lid off, and it was VERY dusty inside . . . all the dust that the fan sucks in, and deposits over everything. And stops the fan from keeping it cooled properly.

Blew all the dust out with one of those compressed air aerosols you can get for computers. Now it's working like it should again icon_thumright
kata

Re: Computer tip

Post by kata »

I knoooooooooow,

I decided to see how clean (as oppsed to dirty) :lol: this week. Well, I could'nt believe it. It was thick as rope anyway I hoovered it all out.

I'm sure I never got such dirt with my old tower. This tower is new after my other blew up. I believe the fans had stopped working and I had'nt noticed it getting very hot.

I feel on top of the grills on the computer for the fans everyday to see if they are working.

icon_cheers icon_cheers

Something else which will speed up your computer is defrag often, also get rid of temp files daily.
jezza

Post by jezza »

What's defrag kata? Haven't done that for many years.
kata

Post by kata »

Defrag for you may not be possible Jez, I am on Windows OS, Opera browser.

But anyway I found this, I hope its helpful to you and everyone else.
Over time and with regular use, files and folders on a computer's hard drive break down or become fragmented. When computer files are fragmented, they are typically disorganized and in the wrong place. This can cause the system to run slowly and to experience processing problems. Defragmenting the computer gathers and organizes the files, which usually improves retrieval time and the computer's overall performance.

For example, a computer program must access various files on the hard drive every time it is run. If those files are spread out on opposite sides of the hard drive instead of gathered and organized neatly, as they are supposed to be, the computer will have to work extra hard and take extra time to access the information it needs. In some cases, severe defragmenting may even cause a program to stop running entirely.

Defragmenting, also referred to as "defragging," reorganizes the hard drive by putting pieces of related data back together so that files are organized in a contiguous fashion. As a result, the computer system can access files more efficiently. By efficiently organizing files and folders, defragmenting will leave the computer's free space in one big chunk. This will allow new files to be saved in an orderly fashion, thereby reducing the need for future defragmentation.
I need to get rid of some 'never use Images', notepad rubbish, old e-mails...be nothing left.......... :lol: :lol:
jezza

Post by jezza »

kata wrote:Defrag for you may not be possible Jez, I am on Windows OS, Opera browser.

But anyway I found this, I hope its helpful to you and everyone else.
Over time and with regular use, files and folders on a computer's hard drive break down or become fragmented. When computer files are fragmented, they are typically disorganized and in the wrong place. This can cause the system to run slowly and to experience processing problems. Defragmenting the computer gathers and organizes the files, which usually improves retrieval time and the computer's overall performance.

For example, a computer program must access various files on the hard drive every time it is run. If those files are spread out on opposite sides of the hard drive instead of gathered and organized neatly, as they are supposed to be, the computer will have to work extra hard and take extra time to access the information it needs. In some cases, severe defragmenting may even cause a program to stop running entirely.

Defragmenting, also referred to as "defragging," reorganizes the hard drive by putting pieces of related data back together so that files are organized in a contiguous fashion. As a result, the computer system can access files more efficiently. By efficiently organizing files and folders, defragmenting will leave the computer's free space in one big chunk. This will allow new files to be saved in an orderly fashion, thereby reducing the need for future defragmentation.
I need to get rid of some 'never use Images', notepad rubbish, old e-mails...be nothing left.......... :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: Sorry kata i know what defrag is but i was on a wind up. I don't need to do defrags or disc clean ups on a mac or linux. :wink:
kata

Post by kata »

Thats why I said maybe not you,

I could'nt remember your system...hmmm..a windup...i'll remember for next time.

Fortunately it WILL help me.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Windows defrag is very slow and basic, I used CCCleaner instead, it's freeware and very effective.

Removing dust has never helped speed up my system though, you must have had a dust duvet in there Connie :lol:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

:lol:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Windows defrag is very slow and basic, I used CCCleaner instead
Don't think CCleaner does a defrag does it?

Windows defrag is OK - just moves everything to the front, but at least it coalesces the free-space (which is also needed on Mac too sooner or later), but would be handy if it moved "related" files closer to each other, and if it was a LOT smart about how it shuffled stuff around.

I use Contig.exe by the www.sysinternals.com folk who were a really bright bunch, and hopefully still are? since MS bought them ... but principally I use that to defrag single, gargantuan, files that I want to be contiguous for optimal performance.

CCleaner should not have a market! It is appalling how much Junk programs leave behind. Windows has a perfectly good API for creating a temporary file, but clearly its brain dead as any sort of Crash leaves them behind as orphans. There is also an abundance of brain-dead programmers who create superfluous registry entries and log files to record "happenings", which is fair enough, but don't see any need to create a Purge routine to cycle them ... I expect that problem exists on the mac too? Notwithstanding how cool Apple stuff is, there must be some low-calibre programmers writing Apps for Mac too??
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I'm with you 100% on that one Kristen, it drives me mad having to completely format and reinstall 2 or 3 times a year but working with image and video files leaves footprints so deep that every now and then it clogs up the system so badly that formatting is the only surefire way I've found to get everything back to normal.

Computer karama I suppose, they make many tasks faster so the universe has to reclaim the time saved for cosmic balance. :lol:
jezza

Post by jezza »

Kristen wrote:
GoggleboxUK wrote:Windows defrag is very slow and basic, I used CCCleaner instead
Don't think CCleaner does a defrag does it?

CCleaner should not have a market! It is appalling how much Junk programs leave behind. Windows has a perfectly good API for creating a temporary file, but clearly its brain dead as any sort of Crash leaves them behind as orphans. There is also an abundance of brain-dead programmers who create superfluous registry entries and log files to record "happenings", which is fair enough, but don't see any need to create a Purge routine to cycle them ... I expect that problem exists on the mac too? Notwithstanding how cool Apple stuff is, there must be some low-calibre programmers writing Apps for Mac too??
Shows how long it's been since i last used windows, i have no clue what you're on about :lol: Then again it was win2k and xp, never used vista or 7.

I used to use CCleaner, just another C drive cleaner program and nothing to do with defrag.

The mrs uses the macbook these days, all the apps that are available for the iphone are available for the mac as well. I now use the laptop with linux mint installed. Both have app stores (well linux has software centre) so software has been checked (supposedly), so we don't have to go searching the net for any software, making it far safer.
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

I work in IT support, we use Ccleaner occasionally but only as part of a cleanup after removing viruses, malware, adware etc. The manufacturer piriform have some great free utiitites, Recuva (recover deleted files) is one that's saved our bacon a few times.

Defragging disks isn't as important these days as it used to be. As modern hard disk technology has improved hugely and can read disks much faster. You don't need to run defrag on a MAC, OSX (Unix) doesn't care where files are.

At work when PCs are slow, the first thing we do is look at the spec, any machine running with less than 4gb of RAM gets upgraded before we begin the other stuff.
kracker

Post by kracker »

I use this it does allsorts and if your really cheeky you can upgrade for free so easy you need to install the program first
Advanced system care
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lia ... =endscreen