Small erection-6x4 greenhouse base advice

fieldfest

Small erection-6x4 greenhouse base advice

Post by fieldfest »

so ive dug a flat area roughly to size, i will shore up the edges and make it tidy and all that but...

Question:
I have bought the metal base and the greenhouse is 6x4. I plan on having a weed membrane inside and having a layer of gravel on top. i will not be planting things in the ground inside

What support do i need to put under it for the metal base? just a slab in each corner? cemented posts chopped off to the right height? 6" beams? compressed hardcore? concrete?

thanks in advance icon_study
photo (6).JPG
photo (7).JPG
photo (8).JPG
Andy P

Re: Small erection-6x4 greenhouse base advice

Post by Andy P »

I`ve got a greenhouse the same size as that. I personally dug down about 6inches and put some timber shuttering all around the perimeter, filled that with concrete to create a footing. ( so the concrete was about 6inches deep and about 8 inches wide running all around where the frames stand) The frames sit on the centre of this 8inch wide concrete to spread the weight and are bolted down to this.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Have you dug down with the idea of gaining some extra height?

All those suggestions would be OK I reckon. I think I'd have just dug a rectangular trench and poured concrete footings in then dug the centre out for the gravel.

;)
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Have you dug down with the idea of gaining some extra height?

All those suggestions would be OK I reckon. I think I'd have just dug a rectangular trench and poured concrete footings in then dug the centre out for the gravel.

;)
its quite a slope, that diggings just to get level ground!!

EDIT: the ground drops 1ft over 6ft (thats a 1 in 6 hill!!) icon_rabbit
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Ah, I see. That is quite a slope!

Have you considered putting footings in then building up the outside with sleepers before putting the base on top?

A foot or so extra height will be handy if you want to overwinter Bananas or bigger palms

;)
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Ah, I see. That is quite a slope!

Have you considered putting footings in then building up the outside with sleepers before putting the base on top?

A foot or so extra height will be handy if you want to overwinter Bananas or bigger palms

;)
nah, thats what the conservatory will be for!! icon_cheers
flounder

Post by flounder »

Personally, I'd put down shuttering and concrete the whole base about 6in bigger than the greenhouse ie, 6 1/2 x 4 1/2. Probably work out same price and time as a footing, membrane and shingle, without the chance of weeds and stuff coming up. Easier to clear up compost spillages too.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

ive just sourced (about an hour ago) a load of breeze block type concrete blocks from my dad, i can lay those down on their sides and put it on top of that which should be ok i think as long as i get them all bedded in level and attach the base to them. im not too keen on poured concrete until im happy that it will live there forever as im about to totally gut my back garden in the autumn (remove all plants, remove decking, install conservatory, terrace the top half of the garden with retaining walls, install raised decking)