Clocks Change -Resetting the forum from BST to GMT

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Clocks Change -Resetting the forum from BST to GMT

Post by Dave Brown »

As the clocks have gone back, throwing us into perpetual night for the next few months, the times on the forum may be wrong depending on your board settings.

To change this go into the 'User Control Panel' > 'Board Settings' and look for the 'Summer Time/DST' and change from YES, to NO. This will change local UK BST time to GMT icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Clocks Change -Resetting the forum from BST to GMT

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote:As the clocks have gone back, throwing us into perpetual night for the next few months,
Come now, it's the orbit of the Earth that throws us into perpetual night for the next few months, not the settings on clocks! :lol:

Yeah it would be nice to set our clocks to give us 15 hours daylight every day in December, but it wouldn't work :wink:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Conifers wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:As the clocks have gone back, throwing us into perpetual night for the next few months,
Come now, it's the orbit of the Earth that throws us into perpetual night for the next few months, not the settings on clocks! :lol:

Yeah it would be nice to set our clocks to give us 15 hours daylight every day in December, but it wouldn't work :wink:
Yes winter is dark, but putting the clocks back plunges us into winter in mid autumn, for most people. For many including me, when I worked from an office, it means the difference between getting mostly home in the light to being dark before before you leave work. That has a huge psychological impact. :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by rufc15lizzie »

For me the psychological impact is dark mornings. At least now the clocks have changed it will be light in a morning for a few more weeks when i set off for work.
It was still dark when i got home from work all last week anyway so i wont notice it getting darker early.
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mowed the lawn in the dark this afternoon, as ran out of daylight at a ridiculous hour.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Moving time is ridiculous. It should stay the same all year round.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Moving time is ridiculous. It should stay the same all year round.
icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
simon

Post by simon »

The Codfather wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:Moving time is ridiculous. It should stay the same all year round.
icon_thumright
Yes, but this is the correct time (GMT). The clocks are adjusted for summer time, to shift some of the avaiable daylight into the evenings where it is more useful than it is at 3am. We are just returning to normal now, so if we didn't shift the clocks we would still get these dark evenings, and it's only this time of year that people complain about it, never in spring.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

simon wrote:and it's only this time of year that people complain about it, never in spring.
The major problem is people don't get chance to adjust to driving in twilight and dusk through to dark, and the statistics show accident rates peak on the Monday after the backward clock change. compared to the period either side. One day you leave work in the light and it gets darker on the way home, and the next working day it is dark before you leave. :|
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

I had a scary thought today that the planet wont tilt back and we stay in winter forever!?! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Dave Brown wrote:
simon wrote:and it's only this time of year that people complain about it, never in spring.
The major problem is people don't get chance to adjust to driving in twilight and dusk through to dark, and the statistics show accident rates peak on the Monday after the backward clock change. compared to the period either side. One day you leave work in the light and it gets darker on the way home, and the next working day it is dark before you leave. :|
Having lived in the tropics most of my life I find it very hard to adjust to the dark afternoons in temperate winters. There is nothing worse than never seeing the sun during the week :( Even still I found it harder to adjust to the long summer daytimes with bright daylight at 9pm, I could never get a sense of the time and found myself starting to think about preparing dinner at 10pm...

Now if only the darn planet didnt have this axial tilt it would all be so much easier! icon_sunny
simon

Post by simon »

Tom2006 wrote:I had a scary thought today that the planet wont tilt back and we stay in winter forever!?! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
I think your misunderstanding how it works. The earth doesn't tilt back anf forth. Its axis is always tilted in the same direction, but the seasons change as it rotates around the sun and its hemispheres become inclined towards or away from the sun.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

simon wrote:
The Codfather wrote:
icon_thumright
Yes, but this is the correct time (GMT). The clocks are adjusted for summer time, to shift some of the avaiable daylight into the evenings where it is more useful than it is at 3am. We are just returning to normal now, so if we didn't shift the clocks we would still get these dark evenings, and it's only this time of year that people complain about it, never in spring.
we need to adopt european time then
simon

Post by simon »

Yes, much of western Europe, including France, Spain, Belgium, Holland are geographically in the UTC timeline but for some reason use UTC+1. Only Portugal uses UTC but geographically they are pretty much in UTC-1. along with about 50% of Rep. of Ireland. I don't see any reason why we can't go with UTC+1 like Europe but there is probably an agenda to keep Greenwich on Greenwich Mean Time.
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Am I the only one old enough to remember when for a brief period we did stay on British Summer Time all year? they called it BST British Standard Time and it was a disaster and quickly abandoned after about 3 years, although everyone thinks they would rather have light in the evenings, the truth is we live at 50+ degrees north and there just isn't enough daylight to go around! and people hated it, couple that to the fact that those of us in the west get everything 20 mins after those of you in the SE and I seem to recall sunrise was around 10am for us during those years!