Trying to upload a video to youtube.

Delboy

Trying to upload a video to youtube.

Post by Delboy »

Today i took a 15 min stroll around the garden with my iphone. Ive transfered it to my pc, and edited it with Movie maker.

I can now watch it on my pc fine, BUT i went to upload to youtube and it says 207 mins to upload.
Im guessing it needs compressing or something, any ideas....bare in mind this is way way over my head so please treat me like im 5 years old.
multim

Re: Trying to upload a video to youtube.

Post by multim »

I would say to have a look at the youtube faq's......there's bound to be an answer!
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Right click the file and select Properties to have a look at the fil size. If you've recorded in HD then it will be a big file and UK upload limits are very slow compared to the US.

You could download a free file converter such as WinX and convert it to lower resolution avi but that conversion will also take a while so you're probably better looking at the options on your camera to find a better setting. Some cameras have a specific WebHD setting which is perfect for YouTube.

;)
Springy

Post by Springy »

I too would like to know this. I am going to do a video of the garden when I have had a good tidy up and finished planting my decked area.
I have got the " YouTube capture" app and I'm hoping that it will record and upload the video within any size limits that it requires.
I haven't used it yet but I really hope it makes it easy. I have never uploaded a video to YouTube before.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

GoggleboxUK wrote:Right click the file and select Properties to have a look at the fil size. If you've recorded in HD then it will be a big file and UK upload limits are very slow compared to the US.

You could download a free file converter such as WinX and convert it to lower resolution avi but that conversion will also take a while so you're probably better looking at the options on your camera to find a better setting. Some cameras have a specific WebHD setting which is perfect for YouTube.

;)

Its 357 MB, not got a clue if thats big or not. It was recorded on my old iphone 3gs.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Depends on the format, that size as an avi file would be around 45 minutes of video but as H.264 orx.264 HD format then it could be as little as 3 or 4 mins.

Springy, your app should film in WebHD automatically and upload it for you. My Samsung WiFi camcorder has a similar feature and it works well.

;)
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Ive just downloaded that youtube app, im currently uploading to youtube as i type, only 2 hrs left icon_scratch :lol: :lol: :lol:
I will use that app in the future.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

YouTube encourage you to upload in the highest quality possible, and then YouTube can convert it and make it available in lower quality for people who want that ... but other folk will see High Quality, so I would just live with the upload time (provided it doesn't put you over some Usage limit from your ISP)

Might be possible to use a different encoding, or video format, but if you aren't familiar with all that stuff probably better just to suffer the upload time.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Kristen wrote:YouTube encourage you to upload in the highest quality possible, and then YouTube can convert it and make it available in lower quality for people who want that ... but other folk will see High Quality, so I would just live with the upload time (provided it doesn't put you over some Usage limit from your ISP)

Might be possible to use a different encoding, or video format, but if you aren't familiar with all that stuff probably better just to suffer the upload time.
It now takes only me 30mins to upload a 8minute HD film :D