arghghhgg whats with the thumbnail pics????

cordyman

arghghhgg whats with the thumbnail pics????

Post by cordyman »

Bug 1 all pics are now tiny, and I have to click them to get to normal size, as I want to view most posts with full pics I have to click everyone LOL

Bug 2 this then opens up photobucket/imageshack etc once the small pic becomes larger after a click, this is using more bandwidth

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: arghghhgg whats with the thumbnail pics????

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:Bug 1 all pics are now tiny, and I have to click them to get to normal size, as I want to view most posts with full pics I have to click everyone LOL

Bug 2 this then opens up photobucket/imageshack etc once the small pic becomes larger after a click, this is using more bandwidth

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Yes, we had to do something :ahhh!: I specifically asked Aidan to sort this tonight. Posts were having pic after pic using [img], all supersize and larger than the screen size, so you had to scroll down to see the whole pic. THEN everyone kept quoting without editing :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: . so the next post had the same suopersized pic after pic with one line new at the bottom. Then someone would qoute the whole lot again, and again. Just totally out of order on a forum. So we have now introduced a resize on img links. Then if every one quotes the whole string it is easy to skip over the pics to the content. :wink:
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I`ve been wondering for a while why people do that! It`s quite annoying. You scroll through a dozen pics ( which is fine) but then you find yourself having to scroll through them all again! And then maybe AGAIN because people are Pasting them back in to reply with a one line reply!!! It also takes it an age for the page to load.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I have seen sites where the images don't get quoted, that is better I feel
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I size all my pics to 800 by 600, the forum has never allowed pics with Img bigger than 1000 pixels.

On most forums my pics are 1024 by 768. But always reload at smaller res for here.

So not sure how people are getting 1000 pixel plus images IMG tag?

how about turning off images when the quote button is hit? This can be done in admin control panel.

Is everyone else getting photobucket etc loading straight after clicking the image to view it bigger on the forum?
pdid

Post by pdid »

cordyman wrote:I size all my pics to 800 by 600, the forum has never allowed pics with Img bigger than 1000 pixels.

On most forums my pics are 1024 by 768. But always reload at smaller res for here.

So not sure how people are getting 1000 pixel plus images IMG tag?

how about turning off images when the quote button is hit? This can be done in admin control panel.

Is everyone else getting photobucket etc loading straight after clicking the image to view it bigger on the forum?
Mine are all 800 x 600 too. If I need to put bigger up for any reason I use Flickr. It's easy enough to edit quotes just a bit of laziness creeping in.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

cordyman wrote:how about turning off images when the quote button is hit? This can be done in admin control panel.
Is that a feature of phpBB? I thought it was only possible by using a 3rd party addon (which can be troublesome at future upgrades)
I find that annoying too. I think if folk use photobucket's "Just cut & paste this into the forum" it generates a link to photobucket, presumably like this

[url=PhotoBucket-Link][img]Photobucket-Image-Link[/img][/url]

I have no idea how Photobucket think that is good for business ... any more than all the messages I see in forums which finish with "Sent from my XXX phone using Tapatalk"
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Attachments are under the control of the forum and we don't quote the pic, just the image name. [Img] is under the control of the site hosting the image. Photobucket used to only display tiny thumbnails until clicked, but now displays the maximum size to fit the width of the page. This means that portrait images are taller than a page.

The reason we don't allow any size pics to be uploaded, is as cameras become bigger and bigger in terms of megapixels, the file sizes get bigger and bigger. What is the point in having a 15mb file for print quality A3 size images when they are to be viewed at 72 dots per inch on a small screen. All it does is fills up the hosting capacity quickly and takes longer to load.

Aidan had to go into phpBB source code and change things to resize the images, and then to use 'onclick' code to display the bigger image when clicked. There are no control panel settings for [img], only the maximum size in pixels and Kb for the board.
The fact is I would not have become irritated if good posting etiquette had been used. if I site an example: there was a couple of lines followed by 8 supersize images, and the next post quoted all the whole post including the 8 supersized images, followed by "What is that in pic 1" By the time I had scrolled down the images I couldn't remember what pic 1 was, so skipped to the next post, only to find a complete qoute of the previous post including all supersized images with "Pic 1 is ...." Result was 24 supersized images (3 sets of 8 ) all requiring scrolling to find what was in pic 1 :ahhh!:
kata

Post by kata »

I have trialed PHPBB and if thats a new feature its pretty unique.

Here some months ago I commented before about seeing Images being quoted, thinking about Dave and Aido's space at the host but I was told its ok they are already in the cache... icon_study

I have a Flickr. I may decide to use that unless its a particular photography problem, or another option is use the Image tag for my host as I have two.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

How about a board announcement you have to read when logging in, with new rules to not mass quote pics? A gentle reminder is all thats needed :D

The current click to see bigger then get taken to photobucket/flikr etc isnt intuitive. And as is the nature of plants and photos every pic needs to be seen bigger to be appreciated hence loads of clicks and loads of diverts to external site.
kata

Post by kata »

I don't want to add to work,

What about latest pics running along the menu, up/below like a [marquee][/marquee] when the mouse touched the Image it stops the marquee, click Image and go to the pic owner's gallery..

Don't shoot me Dave. :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

All pics are minuscule now, :cry:
kata

Post by kata »

Lets see Cordy,
snow.gif
883x570 produces a 500x323 then mouse over for the original.

I opened an account at Flickr yesterday.

How big are your Images?

icon_sunny
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:All pics are minuscule now, :cry:
Sorry Cordy, but since when have thumbnails been full size. Answer = Never, that is why they are called thumbnails. For me the [img] is ok in landscape as fits on the screen, but potrait is still larger that my screen so I have to scroll up and down to see it all. Maybe you are looking at this on a 4000 x 3280 resolution screen, but most people will be looking on smaller, lower resolution screens.

You are bitterly complaining about having to use a mouse click, and saying what everyone else should do to avoid you having to do this click. :|
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

kata wrote: attachment=0]snow.gif[/attachment
Yukk!! Hey, stop posting such disgusting images!

:lol: