Spell Check

multim

Re: Spell Check

Post by multim »

I seem to remember going to school, learning how to spell.....those kind of things. Don't blame web sites/web forms for spelling errors, for YOU are the one to have miss-spelled the word to begin with. If in doubt, compile your message via Microsoft Word / spell check /copy and paste.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Conifers wrote:I've got it - though I'd never noticed it before, and never used it (and won't, even now I know it's there :wink: )
That option is not there for me....here or at work icon_scratch
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Codfather wrote:
Conifers wrote:I've got it - though I'd never noticed it before, and never used it (and won't, even now I know it's there :wink: )
That option is not there for me....here or at work icon_scratch
It's only available south of York, Coddy :lol:

If you are not using the standard theme it may not be there, as the old ones are no longer supported by phpbb. so any new functions won't be on it.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote:It's only available south of York, Coddy :lol:
Coddy is over 50 km south of me :wink:
Dave Brown wrote:If you are not using the standard theme it may not be there, as the old ones are no longer supported by phpbb. so any new functions won't be on it.
I'm using one of the old themes icon_scratch icon_salut
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

multim wrote:If in doubt, compile your message via Microsoft Word / spell check /copy and paste.
Some browser plugins (like the one with Chrome) use Google search engine for spelling, so will probably have broader vocabulary etc. than an MS Word built-in one. From the earlier screenshot looks like the forum one might be using google too.

Anyways Coddy, just download a plugin for your browser
kata

Post by kata »

Kristen, Cods is at work and may not be allowed to dl things like that,
It's only available south of York, Coddy
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:Kristen, Cods is at work and may not be allowed to dl things like that,
It's only available south of York, Coddy
I'm slightly doubting that IT can block installation of Plug Ins ... but perhaps if it is Internet Explorer they could put a Policy on it ...

If it is a restricted IE installation then download Chrome and install that!!

I guess I'm a bit surprised in a corporate environment that IT wouldn't have included a spell checker "as standard". If not they they should IMHO.

I remember when Windows 3.1 (or something like that) came out, and people had it at home but Work had not yet upgraded, a client asked me if I could make him a screen saver of Windows 3.1 (for Windows 3.0)

"Why" I asked

Well, he said, people have been installing Windows 3.1, because they have it at home and much prefer it, and it turns out it is a huge security risk and Management have made it Gross Misconduct to install it - so he wanted a Screen Saver looking like Windows 3.1 to piff off his IT department!
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

If only there was a 'delete all uneccessary apostrophes' checker.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I do work in IT !

and we are running on IE8 here......but at home on the IPad I am ruuning on Safari which is up to date....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

The Codfather wrote:I do work in IT !
In that case you must be able to change company policy in order to accommodate your needs :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yea right Kristen.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

GoggleboxUK wrote:If only there was a 'delete all uneccessary apostrophes' checker.
And one that adds an 'o' when people say 'to', but mean 'too' :roll:
kata

Post by kata »

Did you know that any word that has to 'ss' has no es in addresses?

This is how it should be address'.

:lol:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

kata wrote:Did you know that any word that has to 'ss' has no es in addresses?

This is how it should be address'.

:lol:
icon_scratch

Or did you mean "... any word that has two 'ss' has no ..."?
kata

Post by kata »

Its just address with a ' so address' not adresses its every word that has two SS.

Confucious eh Conifers. I had always used addresses till I got friendly with someone who knew his English inside out.

Maybe its an American English way of writing. I recall his last words to me was 'remember its center not centre.

if you were writing a letter you would write centre, if you write to a blog W3C will only recognise center.

icon_sunny