Best size for pictures

Troppoz

Best size for pictures

Post by Troppoz »

Just wondering if someone can tell me what the best size is to post pictures and any tips on how I can make the picture 'smaller'???

I have taken quite a lot of pics in the garden and want to post but whenever I have done it it takes a looong time just to upload one pic... I assume this is related to file size but for a luddite like me can someone explain how this is done.....

Sean icon_scratch
Petefree

Re: Best size for pictures

Post by Petefree »

Hi Sean
I don't know what software you use to process your images.
I resize mine in Photoshop Elements.
1) Resize the image so the longest side s 520 pixels
2) Sharpen it after resizing with 'autofocus'
3) In the Elements 'File' menu - use the option to "save for web"
4) I then save as a JPEG at around 200Kb

At that size they upload pretty quickly for me. I'm sure there are other ways depending on the software you use. This works for me and is fairly quick and painless. As far as I know - my pics fit on the forum page comfortably without stretching the width - which I know can be a pain.

Hope this helps
Pete :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Sean,

Try going to THIS Topic. icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by ChrisG »

Can remember if i posted anywhere else but in case i didn't here is my guide to creating manageable pictures for web.

Put simple, how big a picture is is determined by the number of squares / cells / pixels. Cameras normally report this in millions of pixels (i.e. 10 mega pixels), while websites and software normally user the number of pixels for width and height. When producing pictures for the web it is usually more than good enough to use a 640 x 480 (i.e. 640 pixel wide by 480 pixel high).

When you take a photo using digital camera, especially with new cameras, they have huge numbers of pixels to allow them to be blown up. Before posting these it is simple to create a copy of the image in a more manage size, i.e. 640 x 480 pixels. This can be done in any piece of software where photo editor, photoshop, irfanview etc and is usually called resizing or resampling. If you do not have a piece of software all the free ones are pretty much the same, I tend to use Irfanview as it is simple but it is personal taste.

Here I will describe how to re-size an image in Irfanview. The method will be simliar in any software you just need to find the menu option.
  • Simple open the picture you want to resize.
    Then under Image in the menu across the top, select Resize / Resample.
    The menu that appears will show you the current size of the image in number of pixels. If your image is lanscpae (wider than it it tall) then you can simply click in the box next to 640 x 480. If your image is portrait (taller than it is heigh) then find the box that shows the current number of pixels for your picture and type 640 into the hieght box. You will see the width is automatically set to the correct size.
    Click on OK and you image will be resized
    Save the file, make sure you use Save AS to create a new file as you do not want to over-write the original
I hope that helps. I am creating a PDF document with pictures of all the menus etc for my inlaws so I am happy for the site to put that somewhere if it helps.
Juliasaurus

Post by Juliasaurus »

I've just discovered TinyPic - http://www.tinypic.com/. I don't know how intuitive it will be for everyone who's used to uploading onto here (I've never uploaded, always hosted from my Picasa account), but it's pretty quick.

You just upload the photo from your computer, and where it says Resize, select the Message Board (640x480) option. It'll upload, and then you'll get boxes with various codes, to copy and paste.

You need the IMG code, which will look like this:

[ IMG ] http://i33.tinypic.com/zvo4gg.jpg [ /IMG ]

Without the spaces. If you copy that into your post, it'll display it as an image:

And that's about the size you end up with. It doesn't really answer the question, but it's a bit easier than resizing on the computer, I think.
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

if you post the image as an attachment on the forum it will automatically create a thumbnail that is small enough to fit on the page
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Great thanks a good range of suggestions and I will give them a crack! And Dave Ill have a look at the topic and go from there.

Ta!