Moving to new hosting

Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Moving to new hosting

Post by Aidan Brown »

I have just purchased some hosting for the site. so in the near future (few days to a week) once I've tested everything, found anything that doesn't work there will be a period of about 30 minutes when i make the permanent move. during this time the website will not be accessible.

For those of you who are interested we will be hosted by http://www.mediatemple.net.

Aidan
Last edited by Aidan Brown on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

Well done guys. As I explained to Dave the other day, I could have offered hosting on our servers in France, and two in the UK but I was told by the techies at our place that hosting forums on servers containing ecommerce sites was not a good idea. (Don't know why?!).

Thanks P'bucket!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

PB, I'm not sure either, but this is not a forum with an ecommerce webpage. It is a webpage, with a forum, and the webpage contains a shop which sells excess plants. Hardly ecommerce. maybe the fact it is a .co.uk domain suggests we are a retail outlet. I only got a .co.uk as .biz or .org were not widely known 2 years ago. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

.biz still isn't widely known the main ones are still .co.uk, .com and .org!
turtile

Post by turtile »

photonbucket wrote:I was told by the techies at our place that hosting forums on servers containing ecommerce sites was not a good idea. (Don't know why?!).
Maybe it has something to do with the database filling up?

Dave,

Did they offer .info?
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

Everything seems to be going without a hitch so far on the new hosting which means, fingers crossed, that if i get the gallery uploaded the site could be moved to the new server later today. I'll prob move it later this evening to try minimising the impact.

During the time the transfer takes you will be sent to a holding page explaining we are moving server.
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

right everything has been tested except for the gallery which is STILL uploading to the new hosting server, this is the minor drawback of it consisting of about 10,000 files :shock: but it's nearly there, only 950 to go and then i should be able to test and get that running.

if it works alright (no majour problems) i will take the website offline at about 11:30pm GMT and the forum and webpages should be back up again by 00:00am GMT the gallery will most probably take longer and will be up again by tomorrow morning at the latest.
Darren Turner

Post by Darren Turner »

Good luck with that.
Your hard work is much appreciated.

I got my activation email today, how weird is that :!:

Ain't computers great.
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

right so here's the latest

- the gallery on the current server is disabled to stop anything being added to it.
- everything is working on the new server which makes me happy :D
- i have the nameserver info to add to telivo (this will point to the new server over the next few days)
- i have the holding page made which will be visible during the changeover

- a quick note for after the changeover
as it takes time to send out new address info accross the net (what happenend to UKO) our server will still be running but forwarding all requests to the new server which MAY mean that you will be sent to the address http://www.s29111.gridserver.com this is perfectly fine. you may not and see the site as normal, i'm not quite sure as i havent used this function yet.

once the changeover has been completed i will post here to let you all know how the changeover went.

and just to confirm i will be taking the server down at 11:30pm GTM. the 00:00 GMT uptime i personally think is a long time it should be back up quite quickly :D .
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Good Luck ! and thanks for all the fish
Don

Post by Don »

Thanks Aido,
It's amazing to see any IT person communicating information like this.
Could you get a job at my ISP please :)
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

since the server changeover the only prob i have found so far is that the cha room appears to not be working so i will have a look at it tomorrow if poss, lectures permitting!
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

looks like the "member" "siteadmin" things have gone, and the small stars.
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

ok, on a linux server everything is case specific and there were both links to phpbb2 and phpBB2 and under linux these are 2 different folders. so for some of you your links wouldn't work. i've now added an address re-write so that everyone should be pointed to phpBB2 and this will be left in place perminantly so you shouldnt have to do anything
Aidan Brown
Site Admin

Post by Aidan Brown »

i've now corrected the problem with the weather pages not updating their content, i have now corrected this.