Tropics of Purley

Re: Tropics of Purley

Postby tatter » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:24 pm

looks good Ziggy oh we would all like bigger gardens and more exotic plants. Thanks for posting pics icon_thumleft
regards

Jim

life is better in the garden
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
tatter

Postby GREVILLE » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:53 pm

Ziggy40 wrote:
GREVILLE wrote:You know how to do this with style, Ziggy.

I understand your climate and terrain. I did a lot of landscaping work in your area in my courting days and afterward, both in winter and summer.

My London garden is the other end of the borough, Upper Norwood, but only there a few months of the year as in recent times I've taken to growing exotics by cheating and doing it in the Canary Islands :lol:

Thanks very much for your kind words. I would really like to have a bigger garden and more exotic palms and plants, must be amazing living in the Canary Islands I have been to the main three on more than one occasion, and would love to live and grow plants in a climate like that.

A few years back went to the Keys in Florida where they have a sub tropical garden you can visit and was amazed by the plants that were growing there. The palms were just going wild by the roadside.
Which part of the Canaries do you live...

I live in Gran Canaria which for the purposes of this thread should be described as four degrees north of the Tropic of Cancer.
GREVILLE

Postby karl66 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:46 am

sorry to hijack thread..nice mix of exotics btw icon_thumleft .
Greville, I thought your gran canaria place was just your bolthole?....how the other half live eh :lol:
karl66

Postby GREVILLE » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:59 pm

karl66 wrote:sorry to hijack thread..nice mix of exotics btw icon_thumleft .
Greville, I thought your gran canaria place was just your bolthole?....how the other half live eh :lol:

More like preferring to live with my other half, Karl :lol: While I might prefer a half and half arrangement the good lady favours the majority of time here and at the risk of saying something sacrilegious on this forum, growing my HTUK exotics takes second place (but it's a VERY close second :lol: :lol:)

Don't fret about missing growing stuff here, Ziggy. Use visits to the islands and Florida to see your favourite plants and get inspiration. That's what I did for almost thirty years and I still enjoy returning to the Tropics of Croydon regularly for the last three icon_cheers
GREVILLE

Postby Ziggy40 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi I try and get over to Florida as much as I can, which to be honest isn't that often though. Last time stayed in Key West at Pier House hotel which I thoroughly recommend, not so much for the hotel but for the ground around it, all very tropical, check it out on the web site. I asked at reception one day what type of plants a couple of them were, and got a hour tour from the ground manager there telling me in detail which was really good of him. Just wished I took more pictures at the time and made more notes.
Regards to buying seeds, I am using Jungleseeds, but wondered if there are any other companies out there worth considering or what might be worth giving a go this year. Thank gawd for the internet! icon_study :lol:
Ziggy40

Previous

Return to New Members Introduce yourself here ;-) (public)