:lol: :lol: joan rivers does scare me :lol: :lol:

Soo youve got a huge root barrier! :lol:

No wait ..they are in big pots?????? :D

Or sunken brick holes! icon_cheers

Or they are stuffed like a mummy! :lol: :lol: :lol:
billdango

Re: Greetings from Bill in Southampton

Post by billdango »

HI BOB ,THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY . LINE NUMBER 2 IS CORRECT .
JUST AFTER PLANTING SOME OF THE PALMS IN THE FRONT GDN [WHICH ARE ABOUT 5 FEET FROM THE PROPERTY]I DUG A TRENCH 3 FOOT DEEP AND 4 FOOT DEEP. THIS I FILLED WITH SAND,ROCKS ,GRAVEL AND OTHER HARDCORE . AT THE 3 FOOT BOUNDERY I ERECTED A 3 FOOT HIGH SUNKEN WALL OF INTERLACED GRANITE BLOCKS .
ON TOP OF THIS I PLACED A SMALL TOP WALL OF HOUSE BRICKS 2 COURSES HIGH WITH A WHITE PAINTED COPING,THIS IS ALL THAT SHOWS ABOVE GROUND LEVEL .
NOW THIS WORK WHICH IS ON COMPARISON WITH THE BUILDING OF THE GREAT PYRAMID OF GIZA IS A WONDER TO BEHOLD ,THIS WAS THE HARDEST AND MOST BACK BREAKING JOB I HAVE EVER DONE IN MY LIFE BUT AT LEAST MY FOUNDATIONS ARE SAFE . ON THE SIDE OF MY HOUSE FACING THE ROAD THE OTHER PALMS ARE PLANTED NEAR THE WALL .NO PROBLEMS WITH THEM SO FAR ???.THE PALMS IN THE BACK GDN ARE PLANTED TEN FEET FROM THE HOUSE ,SO NO PROBLEMS THERE EITHER.
BILLDANGO. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
flounder

Post by flounder »

awwh blimey bill thats a bit lame, I thought it was going to be more exciting than that. I couldn't sleep last night wondering what you'd done :x
you could have said 'lined it with anti root mines and molten lava' or something
:( :(
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Haha! :D I think granite blocks is pretty amazing tbh! icon_cheers Quite a construction, that will be there for 1000's of years! And the score...

BILLDANGO 1 - 0 Palms

8) :lol:
Ste

Post by Ste »

cant wait to see your other pics Bill
billdango

Post by billdango »

thanks bob and everyone else who replied ,the job took about two months to complete .that was during the hot summer of 1990 i think ? on some days it reached +35c and i think i lost a million gallons of sweat . bear in mind i had to do this job all on my own after a hard days work window cleaning. but at the end of the day it was worth it .the other white walls that you can see on the photograths were built by me over 3 years .iff that seems a long time [i,m not a builder ?] it felt like it . the palms that you can see in the front shots are t fortuni. t wagnerianus, c humilis ,c humilis volcano ,and a small p canariensis. in the back gdn i have besides similer palms to the front gdn p roebellini, j chiliensis b capitata and a r hystrix. also in pots s romanzoffianum 8 foot tall and w filifera , and a c lutescens.
billdango. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Worth the effort, it looks fantastic! icon_thumleft
grub

Post by grub »

Loving the new signature Arlon :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

grub wrote:Loving the new signature Arlon :lol:
Well after we didn't get Bills job, i thought i'd advertise :lol: :lol:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Arlon there's still time yet you know,Be patient,give it time
:lol: :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
billdango

Post by billdango »

keep dreaming everyone????.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

With all that granite, youd need dynamite to get those trees out :lol: :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

all seeds are free to all members who can make the effort to collect ,but it must be bourne in mind that i can,t keep them for to long . all the best to all members ,may the palm tree be with you for now and for evermore .
rgds billdango icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Junglejames

Post by Junglejames »

Hi Bill, where in Southampton are you? That's the best garden Ive seen since I moved here. What else do you grow here? I'm from Swansea originally and I think minimum temperatures must be about the same but I've noticed its A LOT drier here and the maximum temperatures are higher in the summer.
billdango

Post by billdango »

here is another view of the side of my house taken 2 years ago .
billdango.
Attachments
bills_4.jpg