icon_sunny icon_sunny
Adrian

Re: Greetings from Bill in Southampton

Post by Adrian »

Nick wrote:Christ Adrian that's a real slow grower :lol: :lol:
Thanks for sharing it with us all here icon_thumleft

icon_sunny icon_sunny

See, I told you :wink:

Kris, no it doesnt need heat like Sabals, just ultra slow.
I have never seen one on sale at a half decent size, usually just very small palms.
They are clumpers as well.

Now you can see why its more a collectors palm :lol:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Sorry to hijack your welcome thread Bill :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

no worrys everybody,any sensible discussions about palms can only be good discussions so keep it up. it;s great to hear about other peoples plants ,so we can all learn from each other. rgds billdango. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Welcome Bill.

Really enjoyed this thread. icon_thumleft

That's the best set of palm trees I've ever seen in the UK in a private garden.

icon_salut
billdango

Post by billdango »

thanks mikec, you can do the same were you live iff you really want to . i started planting palms in 1975 .these were mostly small ones bought from bill spinks on humberside . half the battle is not to keep moving house every few years .i know it seems a long time;but if you plant small palms now ,in twenty years you will have a nice looking garden as well. and the greatest pleasure is watching them grow bigger every year . you can get a better effect in a line of palms by having one Trachycarpus and one humilis followed by another Trachycarpus and so on. or you can cut a six foot circle in your lawn and plant three trachys ,or a clump of c humilis or any singles like b capitata etc
good luck rgds billdango. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Blutty hell Bill,

Even Tenerife would look bare. This was well worth my search.

Had a good lol too at Titch and Flounder, Grub and even RedS had a do. Thank God your palms are in 'Safe hands' Bill...lmaooooooooooo

Thank you so much for showing us just what could be achieved in our own gardens.

Beautiful....just beautiful!!!
icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
Ste

Post by Ste »

I doubt our gardens here up north would ever look as good as yours down south. We just dont get as good weather as you's get down there.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Ste wrote:I doubt our gardens here up north would ever look as good as yours down south. We just dont get as good weather as you's get down there.
Ste. SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH that's a northern secret!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

BUMP!!! can't believe I missed this thread,

The below quotes had me properly lolling :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Not to worry tho, we'll soon have it out :lol:" hahahahahahahahah hilarious

great pics Bill anyhow icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:TBH Bill, you need to start again. Being a builder myself your house could fall down at anytime due to the roots. Because of my serious concern i'm prepared to come down to yours and 2gther we can rip the larger one's out with as much root as poss , get em out asap, put em in me flat bed and furthermore, i'll take them to the dump on me way back home.
Bill there's no time to thank me, just pm me with a day and time and we'll sort it. Plz don't delay............

rgds

icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
billdango wrote:don,t worry about the house arlon ,its quite safe from the palm roots as you will see when i send my next load of pictures . i also have lots more palms in my back garden inc a nice big butia capitata and a eight foot jubaea chilensis. i hope all your palm trees are okay after the last two dreadful we have just had ,although i think we got off lightly here in southampton. -7c was the lowest in my gdn on one night only.
regards . billdango. icon_study icon_study icon_thumleft
Bill we can do the back garden for u as well. Grub was only saying yesterday that large Butia's can devastate house footings.
Not to worry tho, we'll soon have it out :lol: and any others if your not looking :>beard<: :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Erm..its two years old Cordy......... icon_cheers
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

kata wrote:Erm..its two years old Cordy......... icon_cheers
hence the "BUMP!!! can't believe I missed this thread, " ;)
kata

Post by kata »

Your just desperate for Images Cordy..... :lol: :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

Don't worry everyone....

My house is still here and the palms have got bigger since this first thread.

I made special provision to protect the drains and foundations from any root problems so all of us on this forum can rest easy in their beds tonight and for evermore.

Thank you all for your concerns.

billdango icon_thumleft icon_thumleft