Hi all - need some advice for tropical garden

Darlo Mark

Re: Hi all - need some advice for tropical garden

Post by Darlo Mark »

Fatsia japonica likes shade and is hardy to -15 ish.I think I'd stick with trachys for palms. Bamboos will do fine but you need to research the type carefully so that it dosn't run amok.
Stick around you will learn lots on here.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Mulu have a really good selection of Fargesia available now in various sizes and the prices are good;

http://www.mulu.co.uk/plant_list.php?id=8

Fargesia robusta Campbell is praised heavily here, it's a clumping bamboo which means you don't need to use a barrier and the Fargesias are also the most shade and cold tolerant of all bamboo.

As far as Palms go, Trachycarpus Fortunei is the only option unless you are willing to rig up a parasol every winter to keep the water/snow off in which case you could also get Chamaerops Palms.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi Rajas welcome. You haven't told us how cold it gets in winter? What was the minimum temperature last winter and the winter before. We are only guessing until we know that. icon_thumright
grub

Post by grub »

And he might not Jas, he hasn't looked in since Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:53 am :wink:
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

What about chamaerops humilis? No problem in my garden, but can it withstand -18c?

What's your soil like?

Welcome BTW!

...and if you need inspiration for small gardens, take a look at this from another members garden..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=whEeYJWTL1M

Ha! Just read Grubs comment...well I had fun posting anyway. icon_salut
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

grub wrote:And he might not Jas, he hasn't looked in since Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:53 am :wink:
Why diden`t I spot that :roll: Thanks Grub yet again. icon_thumright :lol: