Whassup! from Chester, Cheshire

Squee

Whassup! from Chester, Cheshire

Post by Squee »

Hi all,

I've been reading these forums for a few weeks whilst planning some projects for the coming few months. I'm wanting to give both front and back gardens quite a tropical feel and I've gathered loads of great advice already.

One of the main projects I'm hoping to get done this year is to create a cat run/'open' conservatory (imagine a lean-to pergola with partial UPC roofing and wire mesh walls) which might allow me to nurture some more tropicals in!

Unfortunately I'm quite impatient and lazy so hopefully that won't impact on my green fingered projects too much. Also unfortunately one of the main reasons I've joined the forum is to get some professional advice on whether my beloved trachycarpus f. is completely dead or whether I can resurrect it but I'll post that thread in a more appropiate subforum.

Anyway - hi all from Chester!

S.
outatime1978

Re: Whassup! from Chester, Cheshire

Post by outatime1978 »

hello and welcome, theres plenty of advice here mate! good luck with the garden project :D
bev

Post by bev »

Welcome squee icon_thumleft

Cheers

Lee
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Welcome to the forum Squee. Always good to see another Northwesterner on here.

Lazy and impatient? Reminds me of someone... Oh yeah, me!

:lol:
Squee

Post by Squee »

Thanks all - looks like I'm in good company!

Cheers,

S.
dino

Post by dino »

Welcome. We're not professionals though just enthusiastic amateurs although the ones who've been doing this for donkeys years probably know as much if not more.
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

chester usually does well in winter soif youhave a good spot growing some more tender stuff will be good
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Squee, and welcome icon_salut as Dino said most of us are not professionals, in growing exotics anyway, but we have a good communial knowledge :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard Squee icon_thumleft
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Hi, welcome to the forum :D
Tony Woodward

Post by Tony Woodward »

Hi Squee,

I'm new the world of growing tropical plants so I doubt I'll be much use but everybody else is great at offering advice!!!

Good luck!!

Tony
Squee

Post by Squee »

Thanks for your welcoming words all :)

Yes BobbyD, normally in Chester we do get very mild winters although of course the last two have been very bad. That goes for everyone I guess. We're on the Cheshire plain so at pretty much sea level.

Dino - I think I prefer the term 'enthusiastic amateurs' - sounds a lot more fun than being a 'professional' :wink:

Cheers again all!

S.
Squee

Post by Squee »

Hey,

Just thought I'd add the attached pic of some trachycarpus to this 'introduction' thread. They are in my parents garden and are the specimens that got me into hardy tropicals.

It is a 'clump' of four or five trachys that my Dad planted about 20 years ago. In some ways the picture doesn't do it justice. I'll have to re-take a pic on a sunny day and with a subject in to show the scale but for now - enjoy!

S.
Attachments
IMG_0187.JPG
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Welcome icon_thumright
delboy12

Post by delboy12 »

welcome, this site is bar far the best great people on here,with such know how icon_cheers bring on our summer its been along bloody winter icon_sunny