Hello Everyone

JakoMonster

Hello Everyone

Post by JakoMonster »

Hello i'm jack from west sussex, i have become very interested in tropicals palnts, (mainly palm trees) i have 3 Washingtonia robusta, 1 chamaerops humilis, 6 phoenix canariensis and 4 cordyline australis, so i as you can see i love tropicals plants, i signed up for this site because it really useful :)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Welcome. icon_salut You have joined at a very good time because people now have a more rounded approach to growing tropicals in the UK. The last few harsh winters has really tested what plants are hardy and what plants need major winter protection. You will be able to learn from others misfortunes and ask for help to create a wonderfully tropical garden.
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard Jack icon_thumleft .
musabasjoos

Post by musabasjoos »

Welcome to the forum Jack :!:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Jack, and Welcome icon_salut

Nice selection of palms icon_thumright Did you overwinter these last year :?: If so how did they fare, did you protect etc :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by JakoMonster »

Dave Brown wrote:Hi Jack, and Welcome icon_salut

Nice selection of palms icon_thumright Did you overwinter these last year :?: If so how did they fare, did you protect etc :wink:
Actually I bought all these palms this year :)
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

gardeningnut wrote:Weclum abroad mate.

We are a friendly bunch, wot plants u into :DD
Palm trees also cordyline but mainly palms :)
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Dave Brown wrote:Hi Jack, and Welcome icon_salut

hello dave, i have question, on ebay there is a trachycarpus fortunei for sale it cost 19.50 including shipping, it's full height is 70 cm and trunk is a couple of inches, is that a good deal ?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Jack, sorry about the joker who actually joined after you did. He has now left us :wink:

I'd be wary as sometimes young palms can be stretched by growing warm and in poor light. These are sold for more as the palm is taller, but they are susceptable to winter damage if 'forced'.

Personally I always look for stocky palms. Self sown ones here are short and slow growing when young until about 5 years, and by 10 years are 5/6 feet tall, but more importantly are 8 to 10 feet diameter. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by JakoMonster »

Dave Brown wrote:Hi Jack, sorry about the joker who actually joined after you did. He has now left us :wink:

I'd be wary as sometimes young palms can be stretched by growing warm and in poor light. These are sold for more as the palm is taller, but they are susceptable to winter damage if 'forced'.

Personally I always look for stocky palms. Self sown ones here are short and slow growing when young until about 5 years, and by 10 years are 5/6 feet tall, but more importantly are 8 to 10 feet diameter. :wink:
yeah i was thinking about that, i feel more better buying it from a garden centre where there grown outside and i can actually look at them, thanks :)
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome to the forums Jako

Be nice to see your garden in your own time.

:mrgreen: icon_cheers
musabasjoos

Post by musabasjoos »

Welcome to the forum Jack icon_sunny