Hello from Warwick !

Jamesyoung

Hello from Warwick !

Post by Jamesyoung »

Hi all !!
I stumbled accross thsi site quite a few times typing various palm related questions into google, its great to see there are other people in this country interested in tropical trees

i brough my first house with my girlfriend last year and after a year of renovating the house i finally get to start on the garden !! so im thinking of different ways to do the garden and will post pics up along the way

I have a trachycarpus fortunei which i planted in April this year after the cordy i planted when we moved in died from the harsh 2010/2011 winter :(

have have attached some pics to show you .............. i am a bit of a palm novice so hopefully everyone can give me some advice and ideas !
Attachments
the cordy and yucca before the winter got the best of them
the cordy and yucca before the winter got the best of them
Our new trachycarpus !!
Our new trachycarpus !!
grub

Re: Hello from Warwick !

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard James icon_thumleft , you can't go far wrong with a Trachycarpus and you've got Akamba close too http://www.akamba.co.uk/
Jamesyoung

Post by Jamesyoung »

akamba looks great didnt even know about the place...... already seeing the benefit of signing up to the forum !
grub

Post by grub »

Get yourself over there James, don't take credit cards though or you'll be skint forever :lol: .
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Welcome James, I am a newbie also and like you have followed this forum for a while. Shame about the cordy it looked lovely, however the Trachycarpus should do very well, I have bought 2 good sized ones myself this year and am confident they will be fine this coming winter. I had a small one planted last year and it laughed in the face on winter. I can also recommend a chammy, I hastily planted a big one last autumn and had no real idea of what I was doing at the time, however despite wearing an ice encrusted snow cap a foot thick for most of Dec if came through completely unscathed. I bought a couple of smaller ones from a DIY shed for £20 each, hoping these are as cold tolerant :lol:
Regards Trudy
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi James, and welcome icon_salut

That is a very slim Trachycarpus you have there.

You are so lucky, or maybe unlucky, depending on the size of your wallet, being close to Akamba
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by dino »

Hi James and welcome. I'm from Solihull so can also recommend Akamba. Shame you missed a meet we had there in may. Vale exotics in Evesham is worth a visit too. icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Welcome.....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Jamesyoung

Post by Jamesyoung »

i thought that too Dave ! is that a bad thing ? could it be less hardy? it has grown 2 new fans in the last month or so, so it seems to be settling in ok

dino - are there any events coming up soon?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Hi James and welcome aboard.

If you feel like travelling north there's a meet at Harewood House in Sheffield scheduled in August which should be a great day out with plenty of variety.

I believe there's usually an end of season gathering at Akamba in September too.

Enjoy the forums!

:DD
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Hi James,
very nice positioning of your Trachycarpus, where everyone can see it! I also like the way your equally nice looking car is in the back of both photos!

Is that a Chamaerops humilis in the planter by the front door? If so, being next to the house might allow it to survive next winter unscathed.
kata

Post by kata »

Hello and welcome James,

Most Impressive plants. It *is nice as roger commented to allow others to enjoy the Trachi as they pass your house, which looks a very nice property by the way.

icon_cheers icon_cheers