Another newbie

Coleslaw

Another newbie

Post by Coleslaw »

My garden is situated to the rear of our Edwardian house, and is about 14ft wide by 21ft long I guess. The sun starts at the front of the house in the morning and curls around on the left hand side to finish at the top end of a capital C. We are situated ten minutes' walk from a beach in one direction and about 15 minutes from the North Downs in the opposite direction. The wind almost always blows from left to right across the garden and in Winter it's very strong. No grass just a lot of boring paving slabs laid by previous owner. We ripped out the leylandii, put up a pergola and added a pinot noir which loves the climate. This gave me the idea of going Mediterranean.

Outdoors

Lebanese mint x3
Apple mint x3
Garlic chives
Fennel x2
Bronze fennel
Pink oleander
Phoenix canariensis
Sweet basil x 3
Cordyline x2
Pinot noir
French tarragon
Oregano
Houseleek
Timperley's Early rhubarb (gunnera substitute)
white jasmine
Lonicera 'Hall's Prolific'
Alliums from Christopher Lloyd's garden, Great Dixter x3
Mimosa
Lemon-scented geranium
White pelargonium
Brown Turkey fig with 22 figs :)

Awaiting Jerusalem fig and hardy geraniums

Indoors

Kentia palm
Ficus benjamina x3
Madagascar Dragon tree
Yucca
Spider plant
Money plant
Dracaena Janet Craig
Ficus ginseng
Coffee
Banana
Christmas cactus
Mother in law's tongue

I am needing more plants and want to get more exotic but not bring my plants inside for 6 months lol
grub

Re: Another newbie

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard Coleslaw icon_thumright
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Welcome to the forum Coleslaw, you should talk to Dave B as he's also got a few Houseleeks lately.

:DD
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Welcome to the forum icon_thumright Quite a list youve got there...

Pics are always appreciated! (says the man without a camera)

Sean
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome, Coleslaw icon_cheers

The mediterranean look should do well where you are icon_sunny
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome coleslaw

Pics please in your own time.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

A warm welcome Coleslaw, we will expect an invite when you have crushed your pinot noir and made some yummy wine drunken_smilie1 drunken_smilie1 . Lots of knowledge on here and a very freindly bunch! :D .

Trudy
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hi coleslaw,houseleeks are great,look like sunburnt succulents.some of ours are flowering this year icon_thumright
Attachments
DSCN1097.JPG
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Coleslaw, and welcome icon_salut

It sounds like you are somewhere in North Kent from the description, and the wind would be the dreaded Northeasterlies. I have come to the conclusion that the wind funnels here as it seems strong at any time of the year :roll: It seems you back garden is west facing so the house wall would be protected a bit from the winter winds.

Is the garden walled ? It sounds like you are looking for plants that can be potted and are hardy, but it may be worth lifting a slab here and there to plant through. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mo »

Hi Coleslaw. Enjoy the forum.

icon_sunny
Coleslaw

Post by Coleslaw »

Dave Brown wrote:Hi Coleslaw, and welcome icon_salut
Is the garden walled ? It sounds like you are looking for plants that can be potted and are hardy, but it may be worth lifting a slab here and there to plant through. :wink:
I do have some slabs up - got passionflower, pinot noir, fennel, bronze fennel, stachys byzantina, Timperley's Early rhubarb, Brown Turkey fig, chives, lemon balm, mint, oleander and Lebanese mint in beds, the rest is in pots.

I will put some photos up then yes. My houseleek is nowhere like that big. Thank you for the welcome everyone.