Hi from Lincoln

malcwinn22

Hi from Lincoln

Post by malcwinn22 »

Hello everybody, Im Malcolm and live in Lincoln. I have been visiting this site for a while and decided it was time to get registered. I really enjoy growing tropical plants as they are great to look at and interesting. I have had mixed success so far especially this last winter, reading threads on here most people have too. The real difficulty I have is growing plants etc on clay soil. Still learning what can tolerate a sometimes cold and damp environment. My favorite plant is a Trachycarpus I've had for 3 years, it did get battered last winter but is on the way back, fingers crossed.
Attachments
A before pic, sorry only one I had taken at night.
A before pic, sorry only one I had taken at night.
DSCF0016.JPG (22.56 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
A recent pic, taken last summer.
A recent pic, taken last summer.
IMG_0037.JPG (40.72 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Trudytropics

Re: Hi from Lincoln

Post by Trudytropics »

Welcome Malcolm, enjoy the forum, lots of clever people on here that will steer you in the right direction :D . From what I can see your garden looks lovely, more pics are always appreciated.
kata

Post by kata »

It looks very nice and tropical Malcolm and welcome to the forums

Spotted the Acer.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Last edited by kata on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Welcome aboard Malcolm.

icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Welco icon_salut me Malcolm.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Malcolm, and welcome to the forum icon_salut

The best route for flat land on clay is raised beds or planting on made up banks to allow drainage. If you try to dig holes they may fill with water :roll: Trachycarpus fortunei doesn't seem to mind clay :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by malcwinn22 »

Thanks everyone for your welcome messages. Also thanks Dave for your advice, the Trachycarpus does seem to like it on the raised bed. Most plants on there seem to do better with their roots not soggy. Cheers.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello and welcome
lovely pic of your border there icon_thumright
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard Malc :D
daz

Post by daz »

Hi mate and a warm welcome.I live just outside lincoln in a village called nettlham.
grub

Post by grub »

Bleedin' ell Daz! :shock: Where you been? :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

The Acer,

Its in a terricotta pot. How has that done in frost Malc? I had a pot break in frost one year but ok in other years.

Those stones make a big difference to the look, I like it.

icon_cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Welcome! Lovely boarder and looks like plenty of space to move into, although you have a lovely view as well. I have friends near to Lincoln and they had -18C last winter, which beat my -15C!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome aboard, Malcolm icon_cheers

I garden on clay but everything is sloped or on raised beds. I've introduced quite large quantities of sharp sand, grit and compost. Sumping on flat clay can spell disaster for some exotics but it looks as though you've managed quite well with your border near the patio icon_thumleft

Dave's advice is excellent particularly for an area that can get very chilly in winter and often experiences drought in summer.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Hi Malcom, welcome. Is that Rosemary, or some sort of conifer in the picture in front of your Trachycarpus? I t looks a bit blurred, but if you can grow Rosemary, then drainage should not be too big a problem in that part of your garden.