The tropics in Earls Court

caminthegarden

The tropics in Earls Court

Post by caminthegarden »

From behind the grimy busy road with withering window boxes I have been trying to make an ''oasis'' for the last 13 years . big leaves , coloured leaves and lots of flowers too..I am female , but dont know anyone else who has a clue what I am doing , thats why i joined . Looking forward to receiving and giving lots of ideas !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: The tropics in Earls Court

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Cam, and welcome to the forum icon_salut

You must have a nice mild climate that close to Central London, so what are you growing :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Welcome Cam, you're in the right place here!

Can I assume from your username that you have a cam in yoour garden? If you do then feel free to share the link. Otherwise, some pics would be great.

;)
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Hello, Cam and welcome icon_cheers

If you are in Earl's Court, you must know Rassall's Nursery. I bought my first garden exotic there back in 1985 - a Trachycarpus. They told me to go round the corner to see a mature one in Allen street or Abingdon (I think?) to persuade me that they really were hardy. I was convinced and the rest is history.

Is it still there? - the nursery, that is. I should ask if the Trachycarpus is there as well :lol:
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

Thanks Dave for the welcome , You name it I have tried growing it , new this year Salvia Conterfolia {??} lovely . T Rex from Crug farm last year is making me nervous , dominating end of garden leaves 106 by 74 cm already , survived the snow with a coarse bark mulch. Drymis , a contorted Jap larch , tree fern, Astelia , Aralia var. Farfugium , pawlonia , lot of ferns and iresines and plectranthus from cuttings . Will post a pic when I work it out , no joy so far !
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the madhouse Cam icon_thumleft
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

No Idea how to respond to individual posts , No I dont have a ''cam '' in my garden to watch the plants grow .I am the cam in the garden , Camilla , Geddit !! Thank you google box , I asked my husband what binary code was , he shrugged a '' search me'' , then i saw link , shall investigate. and Rassells , yes I know it well original owner just died , interesting obit on telegraph online . Manager has been left it which is great .Madhouse , hmm, thought it might be !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Welcome! icon_salut
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Welcome Camilla, looking forward to seeing some pictures of your oasis in the city, enjoy the forum :D
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Welcome Camilla, though I take it your husband isnt named Charles??? icon_king

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your garden and this lot, apart from being a bunch of mad-housers certainly know their stuff when it comes to growing tropicals in your climes. Its been a goldmine of info for me and I garden in the tropics!!

Enjoy your stay here...

Sean
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

In my garden now. Testing!
Attachments
Salvia .jpg
Dahlia and canna.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

BANG!

Thats a great shot of colour Cam icon_thumright
Clive

Post by Clive »

mmm I love that Salvia! doesnt half stink though....and that Albizzia? looks lush......
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

Thank you Yorkshire Kris , looked at your pots after the storm vid, wow , beautiful plants ...and so many of them !