Hello !

compo1

Re: Hello !

Post by compo1 »

Hi Maryam

like you I am also new to this site and looking forward to sharing and gaining knowledge on exotics. I would be inetrested to know what you climate is like where you live. I can only dream of growing Strelitzia's outdoors here in the UK but Im slowly increasing my awareness of them and now have 3 species - including S. caudata that I am trying to germinate. All the very best and please send me information about your clinate and what plants you grow in your garden.

Kind regards

Carl
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Kata :lol: I'm guessing beer is not widely available in Iran.

Maryam, Fine sand is a deterrent as the sand sticks to the slime they produce and they don't like crossing it. if you put a layer of sand around the base of plants the slugs and snails can't get to them. Also I have heard they hate copper (metal) and copper foil tape can be wrapped around trunks to stop them climbing the plants.

Here this year I have had to resort to pellets or I would not have had any plants left. The high rainfall has meant an explosion in the population of big slugs. These hide in and under plants, and come out to feed at night. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Maryam »

Dave Brown wrote:Kata :lol: I'm guessing beer is not widely available in Iran.

Maryam, Fine sand is a deterrent as the sand sticks to the slime they produce and they don't like crossing it. if you put a layer of sand around the base of plants the slugs and snails can't get to them. Also I have heard they hate copper (metal) and copper foil tape can be wrapped around trunks to stop them climbing the plants.

Here this year I have had to resort to pellets or I would not have had any plants left. The high rainfall has meant an explosion in the population of big slugs. These hide in and under plants, and come out to feed at night. :roll:
right, it seems using rain resistant, poisonous pellets is the last solution for the slugs and snails.
In some commercial citrus orchards ,here, people have used copper tapes around citrus trunks to pevent snails climing up. They say that way is satisfying!

Thanks
Maryam
kata

Post by kata »

I'm guessing beer is not widely available in Iran.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dave.

Yes copper wire or those Nematodes if you can get them.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/nema ... fAod8AQAow

Just read up a bit on Iran Dave.....non-alcoholic beer only...thanks!
icon_study