welcome to the htuk forum
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Thanks
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Hello !

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Maryam wrote:
kata wrote:Hi Maryam,
I looked for the name Steph among the members , but unfortunately I could not find him.
Thanks
He's a Lady :lol: :lol:
Maryam

Post by Maryam »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Hi Maryam and welcome icon_thumleft

you must be the first member from Iran, i can't remember seeing anyone else. icon_thumleft
Right , it seems I am the only Persian in furum !
There are many skillful person in culturing nonnative plants.
Thanks
Maryam

Post by Maryam »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
Maryam wrote:
kata wrote:Hi Maryam,
I looked for the name Steph among the members , but unfortunately I could not find him.
Thanks
OK. I was wrong :)
kata

Post by kata »

Om giddy aunt............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
grub

Post by grub »

Maryam wrote: I visited that link , so wonderful.
Thanks
Thanks Maryam :oops:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Maryam, icon_thumright and welcome to the forum icon_salut

Are you growing Strelizia already ? and if so, is it S reginea (Bird of Paradise Flower) or the S nicolai (giant, or White Bird of Paradise)

I have grown both, with S reginea eventually forming a large clump in a tub, with 21 flowers in 2006, but unfortunately lost it after it was frosted to -5C in the first of out current colder winters, in 2008/9. It survived that winter, but went into terminal decline :roll: I currently have S nicolai which has not flowered yet, but is 10ft (3m) tall.

They seem to thrive on neglect really. Kept quite dry, and in poor soil they flower well, but if fed too much they produce more leaves, but do not flower. They can take a light frost down to -1 or-2C but any lower and they react badly over a period of time.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Maryam »

Dave Brown wrote:Hi Maryam, icon_thumright and welcome to the forum icon_salut

Are you growing Strelizia already ? and if so, is it S reginea (Bird of Paradise Flower) or the S nicolai (giant, or White Bird of Paradise)

I have grown both, with S reginea eventually forming a large clump in a tub, with 21 flowers in 2006, but unfortunately lost it after it was frosted to -5C in the first of out current colder winters, in 2008/9. It survived that winter, but went into terminal decline :roll: I currently have S nicolai which has not flowered yet, but is 10ft (3m) tall.

They seem to thrive on neglect really. Kept quite dry, and in poor soil they flower well, but if fed too much they produce more leaves, but do not flower. They can take a light frost down to -1 or-2C but any lower and they react badly over a period of time.
Hi,
Thank you for your attention.
I begine with just two pots of strelitzia.I bought them last year , it seems they don't have enough leaves to produce flowers,I don't know their cultivars as well.
I am searching for the young plants and will increase the number of my strelitzias but gradually; I decided to investigate the response of a few plants for my first experience. We have many cloudy days and gloomy sky specially in autumn ,also we had an experience of temperature below zero (-1 oC) this winter ,however, I brought them indoor to rescue them.
As I will protect them in winters therfore, cold weather cannot be a limitation thus I would better focus on the other restriction factor and that is ' light '.
The plants needs full sunny or shady sunny days.
* strelitzias are grown in sunny ares in my country.
(as cut flower)
My most important question is whether they can produce flowers in our climate regarding to light limitation in autumn and winter.
I wondered if your plants can bear flowers in the light of your area so mine can too.
Thank you for sharing your experience and guiding me. :)
Maryam
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Maryam wrote:[
My most important question is whether they can produce flowers in our climate regarding to light limitation in autumn and winter.
I wondered if your plants can bear flowers in the light of your area so mine can too.
Maryam
Maryam, you must be a good 10 to 15 degrees latitude south of me, the equivelent to mid to Southern Spain. If I can get them to flower here I'm sure you can icon_thumright In the subtropics they flower all year round, but for me it started to produce flower spikes in late summer/autumn then stopped completely over winter and early spring, with flowers finally opening from Late May to July. My plant had no artificial light.

I think you could possibly get flowers all year if given very bright winter light
Attachments
200607 BOP in flower.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Trudytropics »

Hello Maryam and a warm welcome to the forum. I recently got a strelitzia and I hope it will do well and flower for me in years to come. Good luck with yours :D
Maryam

Post by Maryam »

Trudytropics wrote:Hello Maryam and a warm welcome to the forum. I recently got a strelitzia and I hope it will do well and flower for me in years to come. Good luck with yours :D
Thank you !
acphm

Post by acphm »

Welcome Maryan!!!

I'm from Barcelona and here all gardens have strelitzias (reginae, nicolai, juncea). Your temperatures are good for strelitzias, they can support freezing some hours whitout problems. They like sun but I have one whitout direct sun in winter and she flowers more late but no more problems.

When strelitzias are young grow slowly and they need 3/4 years to do first flowers. Normally they flower two times a year spring (may, juny) and winter (december, january).

I think you can grow more subtropical plants with your climate: Cycas, Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, washingtonia palms, phoenix palms, agaves, monsteras, philodendrons, etc.

Regards.

My most big S. Nicolai (7m height)
IMG_0836.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

Awesome!

icon_cheers
Maryam

Post by Maryam »

Dave Brown wrote:
Maryam wrote:[
Maryam
Maryam, you must be a good 10 to 15 degrees latitude south of me, the equivelent to mid to Southern Spain. If I can get them to flower here I'm sure you can icon_thumright In the subtropics they flower all year round, but for me it started to produce flower spikes in late summer/autumn then stopped completely over winter and early spring, with flowers finally opening from Late May to July. My plant had no artificial light.

I think you could possibly get flowers all year if given very bright winter light

hello,
I have a lot of problems with weeds in our garden. the garden is not very large(about 200 square meter) , also we have 13 citrus trees. I try not to use herbicide or any kind of chemicals. As far as I know the best way in this case is applying mulch. I think about using pumice as mulch(4-5 cm depth), but there is a question here: it will be a good shelter for some pests and their eggs such as snails, which exist in a large number in our area(humid, subtropical). I should add that I collect them and use board for that in the garden.
I know your region is humid too and you face this problems( snails and weed) too.
I would be thankful if you shared your experience in solving the problems.
kata

Post by kata »

I use pellets,

You want to not use such things. Try a jar with beer in it...supposed to work in so far as the slugs drown.

Dead drunk comes to mind.

:lol: :lol: