Greetings from Huddersfield, West Yorkshire

Kyle

Greetings from Huddersfield, West Yorkshire

Post by Kyle »

Hi everyone. My name is Kyle and I live in Huddersfield with my partner Marie. I've had a keen interest in gardening and garden design since my teenage years. I experimented with tropical-looking plants in our previous garden in Wakefield. We moved to Huddersfield in 2008 just as it was coming to life!

Not having the day-to-day connection and contact with the lush foliage left a huge hole in my life. As such I decided that I would create the garden of my dreams at our new place.

My work involves producing computer generated movies (3D Visualisation) for Architectural developments, but my heart lies in landscape design. As such I've used my knowledge of CGI to create a design for our new and "permanent this time" garden.

I've done a huge amount of research, particularly over the past three years and always seemed to come back to this site whenever I wanted answers to questions. It's a credit the creators and the community who make it what it is. Anyway, I've finally registered, having not participated in any forum sites before.

I'm currently building up quite a large collection of plants that are growing in preparation for their final home. The garden itself is about 1/4 acre on a south-west facing slope and backing onto woodland (USDA 8b). The trees stretch as far as the eye can see, and my long term brief is to blend the garden seamlessly into it's surroundings, giving the illusion of being within our own private rainforest.
Attachments
The back garden as it looked shortly after we moved in 2008.  Quite serene, but not to my taste.  It has been completely flattened to make a blank canvass for our design.
The back garden as it looked shortly after we moved in 2008. Quite serene, but not to my taste. It has been completely flattened to make a blank canvass for our design.
This is the design for the upper part of the garden (Zone 1).  It is intended to give the impression of multiple streams converging into a pool that overspills into the distance.<br /><br />The three lower buildings are a summerhouse, filterhouse and solar-heated greenhouse.  The plants themselves are largely representational as they have to be created manually.<br /><br />The following images show a few angles in and around the garden.
This is the design for the upper part of the garden (Zone 1). It is intended to give the impression of multiple streams converging into a pool that overspills into the distance.

The three lower buildings are a summerhouse, filterhouse and solar-heated greenhouse. The plants themselves are largely representational as they have to be created manually.

The following images show a few angles in and around the garden.
HTUK 0.003.jpg
HTUK 0.004.jpg
HTUK 0.005.jpg
HTUK 0.007.jpg
HTUK 0.008.jpg
HTUK 0.009.jpg
HTUK 0.010.jpg
HTUK 0.013.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Greetings from Huddersfield, West Yorkshire

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Hi and Welcome Kyle! icon_salut

Nice to see someone else local to me! Your ideas for your Hudderfield garden look very impressive and really come to life with your computer design skills.

What sort of plants are you currently growing? and where was your tropical garden in Wakefield?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Welcome aboard Kyle, enjoy the forum.

;)
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Welcome aboard Kyle, enjoy the forum.

;)
call

Post by call »

hi kyle welcome to htuk icon_salut icon_salut icon_salut
your garden plans look really good reminds me of the hothouse at wisley
be warned your plans might not be exact as people on here have stunning plants that you will really want to grow
Springy

Post by Springy »

Welcome Kyle! icon_salut

That design looks fantastic!! I would never want to leave a place like that!

You are now amongst like minded people but watch out, there are a few loonies on here!! icon_geek :lol:

(I'm one of the sane ones of course) icon_thumright
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Hi Kyle, Welcome aboard, wow, Amazing Design idea's, im looking forward to seeing your garden come to life...
acphm

Post by acphm »

Welcome Kyle!!!
Your design is stunning and your fish are like whales :lol:
Last edited by acphm on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dino

Post by dino »

Welcome Kyle. Get ready for a roller coaster ride. icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: All the fun of the fair... :lol:

Welcome Kyle, Looking forward to the creation stage by stage.

Beautiful designing.

:mrgreen: icon_cheers
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Hi and Welcome Kyle! icon_salut

Nice to see someone else local to me! Your ideas for your Hudderfield garden look very impressive and really come to life with your computer design skills.

What sort of plants are you currently growing? and where was your tropical garden in Wakefield?

Hi Kris. good to hear from you, I've seem some of your stuff on Youtube. You've got lots of wonderful and impressive plants!

I'm growing tonnes of different things. Prioritising fast growing hardy-reliables that will serve as the backbone to the more "exciting stuff" and serve as a suitable wind-break. A handful of bamboos, including: Chusquea gigantea, Semiarundinaria fastuosa 'Viridis', Indocalamus hamadae/tessellatus, Yushania maculata, Phyllostachys bamboides castillon inversa and a few others. Various Fatsias, Fatshederas, Ivies, Eucalyptus niphophila/pauciflora, Prunus "Marbled White'. A few hundred 4m pyracantha to be planted as a perimeter hedge for security and to bring in the wildlife.

Alongside these I've got a homemade germinator that is pushing out hundreds of palms. I'm growing pretty much all the main projected Zone 9a and colder palms - enough to keep plenty for safekeeping and winter trials. I've bought a few small palms from Palm Centre, My Palm Shop and Amulree like T. princeps / ukhrulensis / takil - Washingtonia filibusta - Chamaedorea microspadix / radicalis. I've scoured eBay for a few palm seedlings which are going well.

I've gone crazy on seeds this winter and am looking at growing over 25 species of Yucca, 15 species of Arisaema, various Asarums, Bananas and many others. I'm also going to have a go at growing Blechnum chilense / tabulare from spores as I've never done that before.

We lived close to the town centre in Wakey - about 10 minutes walk down Westgate in one of the neck and neck estates that cropped up 10 years ago. How about yourself? Where about's you based?
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

acphm wrote:Welcome Kyle!!!
Your design is stunning and your fish are like whales :lol:
Thank you very much. It's a pity they're only virtual whales at the moment.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Springy wrote:Welcome Kyle! icon_salut

That design looks fantastic!! I would never want to leave a place like that!

You are now amongst like minded people but watch out, there are a few loonies on here!! icon_geek :lol:

(I'm one of the sane ones of course) icon_thumright

I don't plan on it mate. They'll have to carry me out in a box - or bury me in it!
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Kyle wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:Hi and Welcome Kyle! icon_salut

Hi Kris. good to hear from you, I've seem some of your stuff on Youtube. You've got lots of wonderful and impressive plants!

I'm growing tonnes of different things. Prioritising fast growing hardy-reliables that will serve as the backbone to the more "exciting stuff" and serve as a suitable wind-break. A handful of bamboos, including: Chusquea gigantea, Semiarundinaria fastuosa 'Viridis', Indocalamus hamadae/tessellatus, Yushania maculata, Phyllostachys bamboides castillon inversa and a few others. Various Fatsias, Fatshederas, Ivies, Eucalyptus niphophila/pauciflora, Prunus "Marbled White'. A few hundred 4m pyracantha to be planted as a perimeter hedge for security and to bring in the wildlife.

Alongside these I've got a homemade germinator that is pushing out hundreds of palms. I'm growing pretty much all the main projected Zone 9a and colder palms - enough to keep plenty for safekeeping and winter trials. I've bought a few small palms from Palm Centre, My Palm Shop and Amulree like T. princeps / ukhrulensis / takil - Washingtonia filibusta - Chamaedorea microspadix / radicalis. I've scoured eBay for a few palm seedlings which are going well.

I've gone crazy on seeds this winter and am looking at growing over 25 species of Yucca, 15 species of Arisaema, various Asarums, Bananas and many others. I'm also going to have a go at growing Blechnum chilense / tabulare from spores as I've never done that before.

We lived close to the town centre in Wakey - about 10 minutes walk down Westgate in one of the neck and neck estates that cropped up 10 years ago. How about yourself? Where about's you based?

Sounds like your growing lot and lots and many of the things I'm trying.

I'm based a few miles south of the city centre near M1 Junction 39 for now.
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

elcome to the forum! your designs look fantastic!