Greetings from Peterborough !

Tom2006

Re: Greetings from Peterborough !

Post by Tom2006 »

Welcome to the mad house! icon_salut
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

brendan wrote:
GaryW wrote:Thanks for the welcome guys !
@ brendan I'm in the older part of Paston, look out for my (seed grown !) 18 foot Loquat !

icon_salut
Gary i think i know exactly where you live as you are only 2 minutes away from me and if im right you also have a big Trachycarpus next to your Loquat. I planted a loquat in my front garden about 2 weeks ago its only about 3 foot high so got some catching up to yours.
You are correct sir, the loquat is in fact smothering the Trachycarpus a bit at the moment, another couple of years and the crown of the Trachycarpus will be free of it !
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

redsquirrel wrote:hi Gary, icon_thumright have you always lived in peterborough?
Born and bred mate :D
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

fair play to you for enduring the bug for so long.
i know it can get pretty cold in northampton,do you benefit at all being slightly more towards norfolk?
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

redsquirrel wrote:i know it can get pretty cold in northampton,do you benefit at all being slightly more towards norfolk?
It was toasty warm in Peterborough on 10/11 Feb :(
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

My low for this year was -6/-7, a few miles north to Wittering had -13 !! There are a few Cordylines in Peterborough that were unharmed by winter 2010/2011, although most were cut to the ground so who knows ??
brendan

Post by brendan »

GaryW wrote:My low for this year was -6/-7, a few miles north to Wittering had -13 !! There are a few Cordylines in Peterborough that were unharmed by winter 2010/2011, although most were cut to the ground so who knows ??
Gaz was this temp due to your garden being sheltered I live about a mile away from you near Werrington village and when I checked my thermometer it recorded -12.5 not sure if this was correct I checked the car in the front at about 9am and it was still -10.My phormiums look trashed started to get some browning on my chamaerops humilis and one of my tree ferns has black fronds inside even though protected.Did you get any damage this year?
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

The back garden is usually a degree or two warmer than the front, so is a bit protected, an Echeveria glauca has survived untouched, thought it would have been toast at -5 !!! Yucca filifera,and carnerosana totally untouched too, although the filifera which is in a tub and unprotected survived 2010/11 with minimal damage. My mate's was killed in Bourne the winter before ! I think I had a low of about -10/11 in 2010/11.My list of losses that year reads like everyones dream exotics nursery stock list :(