Hello from sunderland

Adam r

Hello from sunderland

Post by Adam r »

Hello everyone. I've just joined the site and thought I would introduce myself.
I'm Adam from Sunderland and I love tropical plants, especially palms.
I've recently bought my own house with front and rear gardens and I've recently completely stripped the rear garden of all bushes and re-landscaped and turfed most of it apart from a border at the back.

I've just bought a Phoenix canariensis from morrisons for £10 which is a pretty good size and thickness for the price and if it does die then I can't really grumble for what I paid for it.

I've got s baby Butia capitata on the windowsill that I bought off eBay for £10. It only has 2 fully grown baby leaves and a new leaf about half grown. It's had atleast 3 older leaves cut off so it's onto it's 6th leaf. I don't know when it will be safe to put it outside. Will it need protecting in the winter?

I will definately be getting a few trachies because I know they will survive.

What else will I be able t grow this far north?
RogerBacardy

Re: Hello from sunderland

Post by RogerBacardy »

Hello

we have a few members your way,

I'd suggest you view the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP as a bedding plant that might survive a few winters. Would als be the same for a washy. I'd say trachies and chamies are the way to go. Chammies are less hardy but recover very well.

butias, jubaeas and cordylines can take mild winters when mature otherwise a bit of protection is in order
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

Hi, quite a few north east members on here.

I think Sunderland has quite a good microclimate as cordylines have survived up there but everywhere else up here they got trashed. The Phoenix canariensis_CIDP will be 50/50 but as you say for 10 quid even if you have it a few years you can't grumble.

I'd look after that butia for a while yet tbh.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Hi Adam, welcome to HTUK, very nice to see another Northern tropical gardener, as said already quite a few of us oop norf now :lol:

I live in Newcastle and have Trachycarpus, Chamerops humilis, miscanthus, bamboos, Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's (which did survive the winter this year :lol: ), fatsias, yuccas to name but a few, so plenty of scope for your new garden.
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the nuthouse Adam icon_cheers
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Welcome aboard Adam

;)
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Hi Adam welcome To the forum, another northerner here trying to grow Tropicals! and learning the hard way, grow what Trudy said (above) and you can't go wrong, just ask away and maybe we will save you some money icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Welcome.....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Welcome. icon_salut
dino

Post by dino »

Welcome and off gardening please take Jordan Henderson back icon_thumright
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome, Adam icon_cheers

Some options open to you when the palms are small.

You can pot plunge them for the first few years in their chosen site and take them inside for winter.

Plastic cover - but make sure the plant can breathe.

Straw bales removed in milder weather.

Rope lights.

You can find all these suggestions here, which means you're spoiled for choice :D
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Adam amd welcome. icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hi Adam.welcome aboard icon_thumright
i will have some spare butia capitata/odorata seedlings soon,will send you a few spares to experiment with whilst you keep your first one safe and sound icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

Welcome Adam. icon_thumleft
call

Post by call »

welcome :D :D :D :D