introducing myself

crowchy

introducing myself

Post by crowchy »

hello i live in a frost pocket near gatwick airport and upto the heavy snow we had
in 2011 I was beginning to establish a nice semi tropical garden. We had a collapse
of our polytunnel from the weight of the snow and were left very disheartened. We
lost all of our citrus collection, bird of paradise, mimosa and several palms but what
did surprise us was the number of plants that survived. We also lost nearly all
of our canna lilys which we had successfully over wintered in a "hot bed" of horse
manure and fleece for many years. We didnt try too hard over the winter of
2011/12 but hope to start a fresh this year trying to think of new ideas to keep the
tropicals warm and frost free over the winter. One experiment which paid off was
lining our glass greenhouse non heated with polystyrene of every shape and thickness we could find and even through the frost and snow we had geraniums and species
fushias flowering - I do hope to learn and contribute any new ideas which might be
old hat through this website - luv the videos please keep going
Trudytropics

Re: introducing myself

Post by Trudytropics »

Welcome Crowchy, sorry to here of all your losses :( , it certainly is not for the faint hearted this tropical gardening malarky. You will get plenty of support on here, sounds like you have a lot of knowledge yourself. Enjoy the forum :D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Welcome aboard Crowchy

;)
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the madhouse Crowchy :DD
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Hi Crowchy and welcome icon_thumleft
call

Post by call »

welcome icon_salut icon_salut icon_salut
andyb

Post by andyb »

Hello and welcome aboard
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome to HT crowchy

icon_cheers
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Welcome!!! icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi Crowchy welcome, I always shudder when I see the words frost pocket and tropical in the same paragraph. :shock: Ever thought of moving or taking up knitting instead :lol: icon_thumright
flounder

Post by flounder »

Hello and welcome to the most informative place on the planet.
Don't listen to the mean welshperson, even in a southern frostpocket, you can probably over winter more than he can in his fleece lined valleys icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

flounder wrote:Hello and welcome to the most informative place on the planet.
Don't listen to the mean welshperson, even in a southern frostpocket, you can probably over winter more than he can in his fleece lined valleys icon_thumright
That's a myth that you southerners seem to delude yourselves with. Always trying to create a north south divide. :lol: I prefer an east west split. :roll: icon_thumright
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hi crowchy and welcome to HTUK. icon_thumleft