Hi from chatham

hardytom

Hi from chatham

Post by hardytom »

I am completely new to this and want to say hi an . I live in kent and am seeking advice on where the best place to put my recent washingtonia robusta purchased off ebay (currently next to garage door . I also have a Texas Palmetto indoors but dont know what soil it needs as it has rapidly outgrown its pot that it was shipped in. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

(picture below may be small)
many thanks tom
Attachments
phplvOEUB_c2PM.jpg
phplvOEUB_c2PM.jpg (3.44 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
GREVILLE

Re: Hi from chatham

Post by GREVILLE »

Hi and welcome to the forum, Tom icon_cheers You've come to THE exotic plant chatroom so we're privileged to have someone chat from Chatham :lol:

Choose the most sheltered sunny spot you have for your robusta and the same would go for your palmetto if you are planting it outside. Otherwise pot on the palmetto in a John Innes type mix with added grit/perlite.

Click on the EXOTICS tab and look under PALMS. You'll enjoy Dave's history of his robusta and there's also a reference there for dwarf palmetto.........amongst many others icon_thumright

grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the mad house Tom icon_cheers , we've a few in from Chatham including Mixie and Pixie :DD .
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Welcome! Nice palm.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Hello Tom and welcome the HTUK :D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Hi and welcome Tom

icon_salut
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi Tom welcome, Why did you choose an Washie for your garden. icon_thumright
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome Tom

Pics of the garden, before and after?

icon_cheers icon_cheers
hardytom

Re:Pics of the garden, before and after?

Post by hardytom »

thanks for all the welcomes :) and more pics of the garden will come up later as it is currently a bit of a mess
hardytom

Post by hardytom »

jungle jas wrote:Hi Tom welcome, Why did you choose an Washie for your garden. icon_thumright
I chose a washingtonia as I wanted something different from the more common palms planted in my area. I also think *washingtonias are better looking than eg a trachycarpus or Phoenix canariensis_CIDP given the right amount of protection in winter :D
JakoMonster

Post by JakoMonster »

welcome :)
kata

Post by kata »

more pics of the garden will come up later as it is currently a bit of a mess
We like messy, it very often ends up a start to finish thing of beauty.

:mrgreen:
andyb

Post by andyb »

Welcome aboard Tom
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

grub wrote:Welcome to the mad house Tom icon_cheers , we've a few in from Chatham including Mixie and Pixie :DD .

Indeed, Im in chavdom meself, welcome to the forum, Luton Road area.
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

Good luck with the washie mate, youll need it lol. Trachies maybe common but bullet proof here, and chammies. a good backbone for the garden,.