bouganvilla

bonkersinbrighton

bouganvilla

Post by bonkersinbrighton »

Helloooo from newbe, :)

Could anyone give me any tips for bouganvilla. I was given one a while back which I can get to "flower" from time to time with loads of seaweed feed but it has never put on any real size. :?
Is anyone out there growing? what sort of temp. does it have to be before going out (potted)? I am very attached to it as it was given to me after my daughter was born so would love to see it thriving but at the moment it seems to mostly be just hanging in there.
I know nothing Type of soil, best feed or anything really so would appreciate any advice icon_scratch
I am not sure of the exact variety as I lost the card that came with it but its a deep pink when in "flower".
kata

Re: bouganvilla

Post by kata »

Hello and welcome bonkers........ :lol:

I saw loads of them in Tenerife. Wiki has almost all hot countries for these p-lants.
Bougainvilleas are popular ornamental plants in most areas with warm climates, including Ethiopia, Indonesia, Aruba, the Philippines, Thailand, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Yunnan, China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Australia, Greece, Spain, Turkey, Cyprus, Singapore, the Mediterranean region, the Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, South Africa, Kuwait,the United Arab Emirates and the southern mainland United States and Hawaii. Locarno in Switzerland, with its mild Mediterranean climate, is famous for its bougainvilleas.
No one looked after them in Tenerife, they were left to themselves so little water to speak of.

They grow best in somewhat dry, fertile soil. Bloom cycles are typically four to six weeks. Bougainvillea grow best in very bright full sun and with frequent fertilization, but the plant requires little water once established.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Hello again, Bonkers, (officially icon_salut ) I see you grow Canna AND Bougainvillea. You are well named :lol: I grow both and my middle name is Charlie (a proper one :roll: )

Kata's tips say it all. I would add - keep the pot small. If you do that, up the water and feed just a little but still keep it on the dry side. I kept potting on my previous plants and they always languished. Compost was always too wet. I've kept my current one in the same pot for three years and it's my best one yet.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Hi and welcome.
Nothing more to add with the bougainvillea except I've had murders with mine these last few years. Find the brightest spot indoors, don't overwater and only give a weak feed once every two months. I found if you feed them too much you'll end up with lush growth rather than a floral display
Of course thats my opinion, others on here might have a better solution.
I've ended up having to buy some replacements as I left them out just a little toooooo long last year :roll:
Enjoy the forum icon_thumright
bonkersinbrighton

Post by bonkersinbrighton »

Thank you both,
Have to say I was about to re-pot after hmmm maybe 2 years but maybe after your advice I will leave it another season - I like the plant even more now as my guilt at abandoning it is appeased :oops: - and if it thrives on neglect (my words not yours) I think I may get a few more! (any excuse)
flounder

Post by flounder »

You can never have enough plants like these icon_thumright
kata

Post by kata »

I did'nt like them, Do'nt ask why I just did'nt.

I also saw these which are really nice they grew up terraces, there are two colors apparently.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
bonker.jpg
The above was growing round the balcony but is it a bouganvilla?
yellowhibiscusm.JPG
yellowhibiscusm.JPG (66.94 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
The name on the above plant is wrong, I thought it was an Hibiscum, its not. It was my favorite Tenerife plant.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I don't like them (tropical requirements and not a very tropical look), but I would grow them for the challenge of it, and the edible flowers :lol:

That Wiki article mentions Locarno... This is confusing, because they have an average low of 1C in January, so I take it the bouganvilleas get heavy protection or go inside in the winter?
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

Mine lives in the brightest part of a conservatory and only goes outdoors from the end of May till late September at most. It's not huge but has grown a very sturdy woody frame and flowers like a demon! Like others have said, it hates being wet, it's been in the same pot for 3 years and it gets a feed if I remember to give it one, which is usually about once a year after it's given its first flush of flowers. :)