Will my Trachcarpus grow again ?

andrew greig

Will my Trachcarpus grow again ?

Post by andrew greig »

Hello, I'm a relatively novice palm grower. I planted a Trachycarpus that had been in a pot in the ground last year. It was quite difficult to get out of the pot so I probably damaged the roots somewhat. The trunk is about 2ft high. Since then none of the emerging leaves (fronds ?) seem to have got any longer or emerged from the centre of the plant anymore, although they are looking quite green. It was a very cold winter of course. Do you think the leaves will start growing again at some point, or has it been damaged by the cold in some way ?
Many thanks, for any advice.
flounder

Re: Will my Trachcarpus grow again ?

Post by flounder »

Hi Andrew. One thing needed with growing palms, patience. If all looks well at the moment good chance the roots are getting established first before any top growth. Others on here might be able to elaborate more.
Don't forget to introduce yourself to the forum in the new members bit :wink:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi, I had one that didn't move for about 18 months after I moved it. :roll: I doubt you've killed it unless you were very ham fist-ed or you had some very cold weather after you planted it. What temperatures did you have last winter. icon_thumright
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the madhouse Andrew :DD
jezza

Post by jezza »

They put out roots for the first year then get quicker with each passing year. Mine did nothing in it's first year, four years on it's grown 5 already and two new spears coming up rapidly.