New Member Stevo from Norfolk

Stevo59

Post by Stevo59 »

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member from Norfolk, although I actually work in Kuwait at present.

I have been interested in tropical plant icon_study s for about 6 years now and have a few, although I lost a lot in the bad winter in 2011.

My garden is dominated by a large koi pond so I went for tropical plants in the front garden and a Japanese themed garden in the back where the pond is.

However, we recently had a new addition to the family so the gravel had to go so I am thinking of planting more tropical plants in the back garden.

Can any of you advise me what plants go with a japanese theme (I suppose anything with japonica in the name) and plants to compliment a raised pond.

I get home for 3 weeks every 3 months so I do all my gardening then.

Best regards and look forwards to hearing from you Stevo
Springy

Re: New Member Stevo from Norfolk

Post by Springy »

Welcome to the forum stevo59! icon_cheers

I think that musa basjoo, Tetrapanax, and maybe paulownia would be a good start along with trachycarpus fortunei. These will all give large leaves and a jungly effect. The leaves would be easily collected out of the pond when the deciduous ones drop them. Cannas and dahlias are good for colour. Plant choices will all depend on how much work you want to give yourself with winter protection etc.

Any pics are always useful to help visualise planting schemes! icon_thumleft
Julia

Post by Julia »

Sorry I won't be able to help you with what plants to select, as I'm a newbie too.
Just thought I'd say hello :D
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome Steve,

I have to recommend a Maple...also Bamboo, black.
A Japanese pittosporum

Found these

Southeast

* Rosemary
* Aspidistra
* Japanese painted fern
* Ostrich fern
* Elephant’s ear
* Canna lilies
* Japanese pittosporum
* Black bamboo
* Saucer magnolia
* Red osier dogwood
* Common lilac

Southwest

* Rosemary
* Aspidistra
* Japanese painted fern
* Elephant’s ear
* Canna lilies
* Queen palm
* Mexican blue palm
* Japanese pittosporum
* Black bamboo
* Saucer magnolia
* Red osier dogwood

Northeast

* Japanese painted fern
* Ostrich fern
* Saucer magnolia
* Red osier dogwood
* Common lilac

Northwest

* Japanese painted fern
* Saucer magnolia
* Red osier dogwood
* Common lilac

icon_cheers
Stevo59

Post by Stevo59 »

Hi Springy,

I am pretty rubbish with computers mate so I will only be able to send photos of my current garden if you send me an e-mail address as I have no idea how to upload them to this site.

My pond is raised unlike yours and is covered by a pergola so there is no chance of any leaves falling into the pond to be fair. I have a few raised beds around the pond which I want to fill with tropical plants.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and best regards Stevo
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Welcome!! Pictures would be superb, love koi ponds, and ponds of any shape and size. Any of the above suggestions will look great but just check for being kid friendly, some can be very sharp and I think T-rex release irritating hairs which wont be good around young kids. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Hi Stevo, welcome to the forum :D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Welcome aboard Steve icon_salut
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

welcome, your garden sounds lovely so Looking forward to seeing some piccies if it can be arranged or if you work out how to do it :)
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi stevo, any one who keeps Koi and likes Japanese gardens cant be all bad. :lol: If ever your over Manchester way try Tatton Park japanese garden one of the best in Europe. When I was into Japanese gardens I bought a book called Enhance Your Garden With Japanese Plants by Judy Glattstein. If its still available that may help. Enjoy HTUK. icon_thumright