Hello and help

andrew

Hello and help

Post by andrew »

Hi everybody ,I am a novice tropical plant lover looking for some advice. We have been collecting a variety of palms and bananas over the last 3 years , we did OK the first year but took a hit in the bad winter. So last year we dug everything up and stored in the conservetry successfully, but we now have had to remove the conservetry and so for storage this year does anybody out there now of a place if it exists that will look after your plants for the winter.

Thank you Andrew and Sarah
grub

Re: Hello and help

Post by grub »

Welcome to the Madhouse Andrew and Sarah icon_thumright , what Palms and Nanas are they?
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Welcome :)

This could be a profitable new business idea.. icon_thumleft

It's like storage except for plants.. hmm.. The thing is if the keeper would have to water them too then it may be quite costly to put them in 'storage'.

My best suggestion would be to ask relatives first, you could always see if anyone on the forum has their own large greenhouse near you, but then your potentially trusting them with your plants which could be worth hundreds?
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Welcome icon_salut
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Hi Andrew and Sarah, welcome to the forum :D , sadly can't help with your dilemma. Could you buy a polytunnel, a large one just for the winter. Add plenty of extra insulation and maybe some heat if it proves to be a cold winter. Once the weather warms up in spring, pack it away into the garage or shed.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome Andrew and Sarah icon_cheers

You confess to being novices but you'll be growing up pretty quickly if you can sort out your problem soon. :D

Can you advertise for a local conservatory or greenhouse that doesn't have (much) use? There is a member living in your area who may know or could help. (Won't take the liberty of broadcasting his name - he would probably see your thread and introduce himself.)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Andrew and Sarah, and welcome icon_salut

I'd like to know what it is that you are trying to protect, as some palms are hardy once established, others are happy with being protected in situ'. Winter 2010 was exceptional, so may be overkill assuming that every winter will be the same. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Welcome to the forum

I think it was redsquirrel that got the use of a garage showroom one year, maybe ask your nearest garage....looking after any plants that need a trickle of water to keep the plants going.

You could house them in a spare bedroom if you have one.

icon_cheers
andrew

Post by andrew »

Hi all,
Thanks for all your quick responses and advice. I think last year we panicked and brought most plants in even the cordalines! We have a mixture of palms - mostly phoenix, a 10ft triangular trunked palm (not sure the proper name) and another low-level bushy palm again not sure of name. The bananas are - musa basjoo, musa sikkimensis, maurellii and a large green leafed one. We also brought in several cannas, a cycad, elephant ear and a couple of gingers. We also have a beautiful tree fern which should fit in a corner in the house. It would be so sad to lose them all again as they have really done well this year. We were also thinking about contacting a palm centre that most of them were bought from to see if he would consider taking them for us.
Thanks again for your help so far and any other ideas would be gratefully received!
grub

Post by grub »

The Nanas you could store dry in the loft Andrew, the Dypsis decaryi would be safer inside though I think. The Pheonix might been fine outside if protected from the worst of the cold so it might not be as bad as you imagine icon_thumleft
andrew

Post by andrew »

Thanks! icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Welcome!!

Depending on how many you have, I can highly recommend this place http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/grow-ur-own for a polyhouse. I bought one last year and along with a thermostatic electric heater, it got all my tender potted plants through winter, and we hit -10C on a few occasions. icon_thumleft

This is the heater I got. There aren't many around, but its excellent and with the automatic head swivel it really helps the air circulation in the polyhouse. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Parasene-597-Fi ... B004FMEQIQ
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.