Hi new member in nottinghamshire

Nigel Fear

Re: Hi new member in nottinghamshire

Post by Nigel Fear »

Welcome aboard Rich.

With that list you'll soon have a jungle effect in your garden. :wink:
I hope you've done a bit of research on the type of bamboo's you have though, theyre great plants, but certain types can often 'run' into other borders once they get started going... even next door.
There are a few bamboo experts that post on here though, that will advise you how to prevent that from happening.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

flounder wrote:Hi and welcome.
Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions, the answers aren't always stupid icon_thumright
Yes but some of them are. :lol: Happy gardening, what sort of temperatures do you get over there in the winter. icon_thumright
parkysparky

Post by parkysparky »

hi, i have 6 different varities of bamboos but have ensured i have planted carefully. 3 are in raised sleeper boarders to contain them but they are clumpers. 3 are planted in a section of garden at the bottom of the garden that i have raised to ensure they dont run into neighbours gardens, and on the front i have put a concrete barrier in to stop it running into drive.
We had a frost yesterday quite a good one and then today it was 7 degrees in temporary greenhouse. I have never bothered with temperatures as i never had delicate plants, but now i have started from scratch i will be noted temperatures.
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

parkysparky wrote:hi, i have 6 different varities of bamboos but have ensured i have planted carefully. 3 are in raised sleeper boarders to contain them but they are clumpers. 3 are planted in a section of garden at the bottom of the garden that i have raised to ensure they dont run into neighbours gardens, and on the front i have put a concrete barrier in to stop it running into drive.
We had a frost yesterday quite a good one and then today it was 7 degrees in temporary greenhouse. I have never bothered with temperatures as i never had delicate plants, but now i have started from scratch i will be noted temperatures.
You've done your homework icon_study Rich. What varities of bamboo have you planted?
parkysparky

Post by parkysparky »

I have planted 2 black bamboos, 1 SASAELLA MASAMUNEANA ALBOSTRIATA VARIEGATED BAMBOO, 1 pseudosa jponica, 1 phyllotachys aurea, unsure of but looks similiar tonphyllostachys nigra f. and a dwarf variety but also dont know name.
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Nice selection. icon_thumleft

SASAELLA MASAMUNEANA ALBOSTRIATA VARIEGATED BAMBOO is an attractive dwarf- but very invasive!

Pseudosasa japonica-Arrow bamboo has the lovely large leaves.

phyllostachys aurea-Golden bamboo, you can eat the young shoots in Spring.

Any photo's of garden?
parkysparky

Post by parkysparky »

Whats the best way of putting them on as we gutted garden and still half finished so have quite a few to put on.
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Hows it all going parkysparky??? Any updates...photo's...I'm just nosing